New girl on the block

<p>Hello, <br>

I think my father passed down the amateur photography gene down to me, we both enjoy it!<br />From N.Ireland but studying at Uni in Cornwall at the moment.<br>

I am really bad at film photography but I have no pressure on me so am happy to blindly potter about and learn as I go as it is just a nice hobby out side of illustration. <br>

Done a 10 week night class in my local dark room in the community centre and learnt how to develop b/w and its so addictive! <br>

I enjoyed photography digitally in secondary school art class and was told I did take to it but I feel my skills lay more in drawing and such, so its all just a hobby for me. <br>

Do people often say what camera's they have?<br />My father has a lot of SLR's and others that sometimes can look at and not touch..<br>

Halina Pet in good condition (but it's a Halina so rather temperamental) ha!<br />Coronet 4x4 - no where here develops 120 so need to get that done soon but all parts seem to work.<br />Rollei 35B in less good condition - waiting to develop the test film so lets hope it works<br />Petri Racer in good condition - waiting to find time to develop that test film as well!<br />Pentax pc35af - a friend is giving me one in a few weeks just to have a "point and shoot" one. <br>

So yeah, hopefully I can learn a lot here and meet some nice people. </p>

<p>Welcome Elena! Of the cameras you mention, the Petri Racer would potentially deliver the highest image quality, although most probably the meter won't work (or needs an obsolete 625 battery). If your dad has a lot of SLRs, one of these would be a whole lot better! Halina was always an ultra-cheap brand, the Coronet 4x4 is a very simple camera (and takes not 120 film but the even rarer 127 size, available but hard to get processed). A Pentax point and shoot is good to use, but since it's auto only, you won't learn much about photography! Too bad the Rollei is in poor shape, it is in any case a cheaper model with a simpler Triotar lens rather than the usual Tessar. Look forward to more posts from you!</p>

<p>Hey David, <br>

Yes, the meter is not working in the Petri sadly, do you know if it takes any other batteries or is it just the 625 one? Good to hear I have at least one half decent camera ha. <br>

<br />Ah yes, I know the Coronet takes 127 but I only had 120 so I modified it so it would take the 120 (who knows if its worked as its sitting waiting to be develop too). <br>

I am excited and hoping the rollei works, but it is a B so it is the cheaper little guy so not holding my hopes up too much. <br>

My dad lets me borrow one of his SLRs when I am home, (I can not remember which one at all now but I think he favours the Nikon brand and he told me it was the last SLR before they went digital). <br>

Haha - yes I will not learn much with a point and shoot.<br />My friend only has point and shoot 35mm so she wants to "convert" me and I laugh at them because the only reason I really got into analog was so I would really really force myself to understand the rules and ideas behind ISO/Exposure/Aperture/shutter speeds.<br />Currently I understand the theory but I need to put it into practice. <br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>Hello Mike,<br>

The Rollei, I received it yesterday from a friend of a friend, it seems in pretty good shape, just the design on the body is worn making it look scruffy. <br />But when I load the film, I can not wind it on, I feel like I will break something if I do.<br>

I need to read the user manual online and be careful with it. <br>

Thanks for the welcome too :)</p>

While you can generally figure out the operation of most cameras, I highly recommend consulting the Rollei manual.

When you learn the operation of this precise little camera it will reward you with high quality images. Good luck and be

sure to visit the Classic Manual Cameras forum.

<p>I just arrived home last night for Easter, and brought my Rollei and Pentax with me.<br>

Me and my dad read over the manual, it sounds stupid, but I likely would have been left scratching my head without it! <br /><br />I am thinking of trying a test roll of the Rollei over this week and hopefully starting to work out how to use it really. <br /><br />I have been reading a lot of threads on the Classic Manual fourm (and around here), very informative. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Bad news is that the Rollei's film advance and the shutter release seem jammed.<br /> I feel like leaving the Rollei behind when I go back to Uni and I will attempt to tinker and fix it over summer holidays :(<br />I think thats the best idea. <br /> <br /> This is an image from my Halina Pet though - first time using a fully manual viewfinder camera so forgive the faults.</p><div>00drj5-562122684.thumb.jpg.33c1ee3848c20fa873c39e2ac5d1875b.jpg</div>

I have not given up hope on it yet!

The blades were open and the lens was already

extended. When I looked at it previously the film

advance was fine but the shutter release was

always jammed.

I do not see any sign of rust but I have not opened it

up yet - leaving that as a summer project.

Is there a particular way to operate a rollei - did I

inadvertently cause its demise?

I know with some cameras if you don't cock it beofe you set exposure etc it can screw with it.

I am collecting images from my Pentax test roll tomorrow and am planning to test my Petri when I get back to Cornwall.

A friend offered me a half frame camera it seems rather odd.

Thanks