New foto permit rules / problems at Angkor Wat

howard_pyle

Hi All, <BR>

While on a trip to SE Asia, I shot for a week at Angkor Wat and had some problems

with the authority that runs the complex. I shot with a Mamiya RZ 67 and a Fuji 645

Rangefinder and my wife was shooting with a D1x getting details with a big

telephoto. I was mainly using the RZ on a tripod. <BR><BR>

Before going, I did a bunch of research and asked a ton of people about the need for

permits. Everyone said it wasn't necessary. <BR><BR>

Well, on the first day, after having a grand time at the jungle temple at dawn we made

our way to another temple mid morning and as soon as I got setup a park official

drove up on a motorcycle. They said I could use the D1x and the rangefinder on the

tripod but not the RZ. I said that I didn't think a permit was necessary and he said

that there is now.<BR><BR>

Long story short is that I spent three days in and out of the office trying to get the

permit and missing valuable shooting time until I gave up and shot handheld. The

bottom line is that someone went into the jungle temple at dawn and got caught

shooting nudes. Thanks a lot to whoever you are! they kept saying over and over

again "this camera is for sexy pictures!" meaning the RZ. <BR><BR>

Getting a permit will be very difficult without some experience navigating the Khmer

hierarchy. A French TV crew that had been paid by the Cambodian government to

shoot was denied access with a tripod. <BR><BR>

Maybe this is all a temporary thing, but I thought I'd post it in so that people could

plan ahead. This all happened in Nov 2003.<BR><BR>

cheers -howard pyle

I was there in last Feb. I did't use medium format so I got no problems. I saw a few guys shooting medium format... while some looks like for commercial projects (seems local cambodian crew), i did saw some other photographers shooting medium/w tripod and seems they are travellers and I don't think they got a license....and I didn't see any staffs there gave problem to them...

While I can't talk much about shooting with medium format in Ankor Wat, I want to mention their opening hour. I don't remember the exact time...but their opening is before sunset. You won't be able to see or shoot sunset in Ankor Wat. Those staffs won't care what you do there, they just know when to kick you out. And they'r VERY rude.

BTW, I saw a foreign TV crew using heavy gear in Ankor Wat... more then just tripod.... they use rail.

Somehow I think money can do a lot thing there... somtimes this is what they'r ask for.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Angkor Waht is a crucial element of the Cambodian self-image and they don't like to have it misused by foreigners. When the Tomb Raider Film crew got shooting permition, the Cambodians insisted, that Angkor Wat not merely be a simple background for action sequences. Well, they did not like the result. So, experiences like that might have led to the restrictions you mentioned.

To give you an idea of how important Angkor Wat is for the Cambodians. By the beginning of 2003, there was a Thai actress, who was very famous in Cambodia, too. She was alleged of saying, that Angkor Wat belongs to Thailand. That resulted in lootings of the Thai Embassy at Phnom Phen as well as Thai shops there. The Thais closed the border between the two countries and it took about three to four months to recover.