New Forums

G-P

<p>Hello All - we would like to get feedback from you on forums you would like to add. I know we have had requests to add in some additional topics - for example - adding of a Macro forum which has been requested in the past. Are there additional forums you would like to add (insert Off Topic jokes and requests - kidding of course). </p>

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Off-Topic would be very welcome, but I think it should be titled differently to better convey the nature of a friendly discussion. "Topics Of Interest" maybe? Keep it interesting, informative and good spirited.</p>

<p>I've actually wanted to start a discussion on my underestimating, misjudging and misunderstanding the engineering behind "Handy Wipes". There's other every day products I never bothered to use or try out because I misjudged them for decades. I could write a book on what I've discovered about "Handy Wipes".</p>

<p>And canned smoked herring from Germany?! OMG! The best tasting sardines I've ever eaten. </p>

<p>I also miss Off Topics, sometimes.<br /> However, the climate since the forum was turned off has not, shall we say, "improved". The world, not just this nation, is too polarized for anything to be perceived except through the veils of echo chambers and irreconcilable disagreements. Since I am on the left, I see this problem as being particularly true of the right, which simply means that I am as much a part of this problem as most other people. :|</p>

<p><em><strong>And now for something completely different</strong></em>:</p>

<p>I will raise again the possibility that "Modern Film Cameras" could simply become "Modern Collectible Cameras" and include digital historical cameras like the early Kodak digitals, for example.<br /> I have just looked at the prices being asked for some early "still video" cameras, for example, and it is clear that I am not the only one interested in and considering acquiring some of these pioneers. Yet, I do not think that many of the existing brand threads see much traffic from those outside the pale, so posting there is futile.<br /> Posting on Casual Conversations in my recent experience simply means casting your post to the trolls, and many people, including myself, don't 'get around there much anymore'.</p>

<p>Consider the fact that there are now literally millions of people with flying robot cameras. Some people actually use them for useful and creative photography. So: the drone forum. Yes, there are many, many web destinations that are all about that ... but very few that come at it from the photography angle first, and flying hardware second. There may be only a few participants early on, but this area of interest and rapidly evolving photographic technology is NOT going away.<br /><br />And no, the Off Topic forum - in any semblance of its earlier self - is probably still a bad idea, all things considered.</p>

<p>I like the idea of a Still Life, Table Top, Product photography forum. Not sure how much interest there would be beside me but I have seen some lovely work in this genre from members. Right now it's supposedly covered in the Lighting forum or so I was told when I raised the issue a few years ago. </p>

<p>I think there are enough forums out there handling off topic subjects...please, don't clog PN with one...they seem to be a haven for contentious people spewing their venom - something not needed on PN at this time.</p>

<p>Maybe a Photo Blogs forum?</p>

<p>In this forum, each new thread would belong to its starter and automatically be titled with the name of its starter. He/she could post whatever he/she felt like for ... ever. Comments would be allowed or not allowed by the choice of the thread starter/owner. Also, thread owner would have the ability to delete unwanted comments from his/her own thread/blog.</p>

<p>All good suggestions. We also referred back to user surveys done in the past and the following seemed to have most interest: Abstract, Drone, Landscape and Macro. We will start with those for now - but keep the suggestions coming, just because we go with these 4 new ones doesn't mean we can't add more if there is enough interest in the subject. </p>

<p>What about a History of Photography forum? Those kinds of topics are now often subsumed under the Philosophy of Photography, but I think that history could profitably be separated from that forum (although some overlap is inevitable--and not necessarily a bad thing). </p>

<p>A lot of us really like to read about other photographers and their historical (and continuing) contributions and innovations. A History of Photography forum could be a kind of "Masters of Photography" forum, but it could also be much more than that.</p>

<p>Perhaps it would also wind up being more civil and less likely to degenerate into the sometimes contentious exchanges which have from time to time afflicted the Philosophy of Photography forum as well as the Casual Photo Conversations forum.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>I like Lanny's idea on History or Masters Of Photography forum.</p>

<p>After contributing in some Philosophy of Photography forums in the past I do find other contributor's inexhaustible knowledge of "famous" photographers from the past a big help for me since I don't have the time, motivation or awareness of what to look for among the hundreds of pioneering photographers in history.</p>

<p>Links provided by contributors such as Phil S. and Julie H and others have given me a new awareness of what's already been done and what can be inspired from these great photographers. </p>

<p>Glenn and Matt: A new OT forum doesn't necessarily have to be a semblance of anything, especially of the original. In my opinion, it depends on how it is structured, presented to PN subscribers/members, and moderated. It seems to me that those of us who were regulars on the original OT forum have learned from such experiences. As long as discussion remains civil and complies with PN rules, I don't see a problem up front.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would broaden any "drone" forum to be something like "Remote Photography" which could encompass things like motion-activated wildlife cams and such. </p>

<p>It might be nice to have a Non-professional Photography forum, where those who've never sold their craft nor desire to can co-mingle.</p>

<p>That "Remote Photography" idea reminded me of technique I saw on one of those Dateline or Investigation Discovery murder mysteries where a family member positioned or affixed their cellphone for a line of sight recording of the combination number entered during access by the wealthy in-law's safe.</p>

<p>Only problem is the owner of the cellphone didn't erase the video and the cops nailed her as the culprit. DUH!</p>

<p>I can't wait to see other tips on how to use a camera remotely. Could be some good reading.</p>