New format style

jay_.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay, don't worry. Probably most people are like you, and won't ever click on the ads. Google will pull the campaign because it doesn't perform, just like all our other advertising partners. Then, we will throw in the towel, pull the plug on the servers, and you will never have to look at another ad or anything else from photo.net again. Have a nice day.

Well, the ads I've seen are for cell-phone services (AT&T or Nokia or some such). Perhaps "non-profit" in the dot.com sense, but hardly altruistic....

But they seem to be appearing somewhat randomly (not at all at the moment). Maybe it was an experiment, or a trial balloon that deflated badly....

I also don't 'get' putting posters names at the top of the posts within threads - I sign MY letters at the bottom.

There are two types of ads. Most of the ads are text-link ads from Google. These are supposed to be context sensitive, but until Google has indexed the page they tend to be public service ads. They do tend to home in pretty well after a few hours. You can see this by looking at some threads in the forum that were posted on Tuesday or yesterday.

We also have some regular graphical ads in the skyscraper format, like the AT&T ads. These are from Tribal Fusion.

The Google text links are new since Tuesday. The Tribal Fusion header banners have appeared before in the forum, although not very many since May. The skyscrapers, on the right, both from Google and TF, are new since about an hour ago. An ad is not displayed every time.

ATT is a non profit company?

What I really like is the DISTRACTINGLY LOUD AND ANNOYING animation.

It's adds a nice contrast to the demure type of the forum.

Why not make the whole page an ad, and offer an optional button for

viewing any forum information? After all, we did come here to be bombarded by

advertising, not as a refuge from it in every nook and cranny of our lives.

I think I'll go take a dump. At least the toilet paper is free of ads. For now anyway.

<<Jay, don't worry. Probably most people are like you, and won't ever click on the ads. Google will pull the campaign because it doesn't perform, just like all our other advertising partners. Then, we will throw in the towel, pull the plug on the servers, and you will never have to look at another ad or anything else from photo.net again. Have a nice day.>>

Which simply means that your biz plan flopped, or am I missing something somewhere where it's suddenly my fault? Copping a snotty attitude and being ironic isn't much of a bix plan either.

What?! Didn't see the new format coming, or the need for it.

People's name etc. comes out on top - why? I think the context is more important and should come first.

For some reason I don't see any disturbing animated adds? Just another empty frame on the right. Whatever needs to be done to keep this community floating, I'd guess I support most of it. But please do stay away from the pop-up adds...

Jay

I agree with your stance.This used to be a great forum, but I see the thin end of a wedge when I see one. Perhaps we should all start practicing our goodbyes!

This " change for the sake of change " is crap ,and those responsible should be aware of that. Adverts - who needs them? , unless there is another reason that's not being told. If something is needed it is fairly easy to look up .

Regards Bruno

Are these ads like the supermarket receipt coupons? I type Nikon and a Canon ad pops up on the right? I'm right handed with a poor right eye - can I get the ads on the left? I should just shut up and go get the 42 inch monitor, then I'll be able to see what four out of five people recommend.

I would think Leica Dealers would love to advertise on the right side, if they were clever about it they would take stuff on consignment etc.

It could be worse, they could be popups (of course I do have a pop up killer that works great) or one of animated ones that also blinks.

So what other BB's are out there that cater to our needs?

Thanks,

Gerry

It looks like a work in progress. At least one thread (R. Johnson's from the 11th) has no side bar at all, and the ads have not been listed recently. I don't mind the ads. There were a couple of processors/printer services that I was interested in, and now they're gone. There are no free lunches.

Great format, improved readability, ads are fine with me, not too distracting at all. Overall, excellent look. Great improvement, much appreciated by me, but apprarently not by all.

Thanks, Brian, for the hard work.

Regards, Bill Gibson

By the way, for the time being the link area at right won't show ads if you are a logged-in subscriber. In that case, there will still be text-link only ads in the header. Some subscribers might have seen vertical ads at right during the first few minutes before all the new code related to that area got rolled out.

What's the big deal about a few ads? You don't have to click on them. I'm guessing most of us under-estimate what it costs to operate a site such as PhotoNet. And I see far fewer Donor Icons on the other forums.

As far as the new format goes...it's different and we know how so many Leica users react to change. Perhaps there is a way to buy a retrofit software program that will eliminate both the ads and "flare". You could always use an analog word processor...pencil and paper :>}