New Flash old Camera, New Camera Old Flash

frank_gary

<p>It looks like I need another flash since my Di622 won't fire with just a pure center pin short. I have been considering getting an Sb-28 or one of the modern Sb-X00 series flashes. As I understand it a Sb-X00 series flash on a film camera will do everything that the camera is capable of in regards to flash and that basically there is no advantage to one of these flashes on a film camera over something like a Sb-28 as far as exposure control is concerned. Though I do understand that there can be improvements in things like power, ease of use, etc. <br>

What I'm not so sure of is how forward compatible a flash like a Sb-28 is with a modern DSLR. I haven't been able to find too much info on this as most things I find just suggest getting a modern flash. I assume that I get full manual control, auto flash, and probably auto aperture. I'm also assuming that I'll get in camera confirmations of things like flash ready and potential underexposure. What I'm not sure about is will I get camera back manual control (set flash power manually on the camera not the flash), flash exposure offset, other new fuctions controlled by the camera I don't even know about? Are there any forms of stupid TTL that I will get? <br>

Is my understanding correct? Are there other factors that I should consider when attaching a modern flash to an old camera or an old flash to an modern camera? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I assume that I get full manual control,</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, Full power to 1/64 in 1/3 stop increment</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>auto flash</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, using non-TTL external sensor, you set ISO, aperture manually on flash.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>auto aperture.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, the aperture info can't pass to old SB-28 flash.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'll get in camera confirmations of things like flash ready and potential underexposure.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No. These info won't pass. You can compensate by setting aperture /ISO in flash and body differently.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What I'm not sure about is will I get camera back manual control</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can be sure that the camera controls has nothing to do with SB-28 controls</p>

<p>Nikon SB-800 includes everything you can ever want from a flash used with whatever imaginable camera, old and new, film and digital (Nikon digital of course).<br>

SB-600 is very good but only with TTL/iTTL compatible Nikon film/digital cameras. You cannot use SB-600 with your Kodak Retina or Leica for example (missing PC socket, missing A-mode).</p>