New Firmware 1.01 for the Mirrorless 24-70mm/f4 S Z-Mount Lens

ShunCheung

This is a firmware upgrade for the 24-70mm/f4 S kit lens:

Link to download the new firmware:

Nikon | Download center | NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S Firmware

The new firmware has this one documented change:

Aperture control has been made more reliable by setting aperture to a medium diameter (around f/8) when the camera is turned off, rather than close to the minimum diameter.

While the new firmware is for the lens, you still upgrade it via a memory card for a Z camera body (either Z7, Z6, or Z50), and the 24-70mm/f4 S lens must be attached to the camera.

I just went through the procedure with my Z6 and 24-70/4 S kit lens. It is straight forward, just like other Nikon camera firmware upgrade, but this is the first time I upgrade the firmware on a Nikon lens.

The new firmware has this one documented change:

"Aperture control has been made more reliable by setting aperture to a medium diameter (around f/8) when the camera is turned off, rather than close to the minimum diameter."

I am glad. I noticed this issue from day 1, and think I mentioned it. It was very annoying. I will be upgrading soon, but wonder why they don't leave the aperture to the way it was set before turning off. This can become an issue too because one still needs to double-check if the aperture is set properly.

Err,, so the 'fix' is a lie? ie it doesn't.....

rather than close to the minimum diameter.

So, someone explain please?

Won't call it a "lie". It was inaccurate - oh maybe it is a lie. :eek:

It seems to be the way it should be now.

• Like 1

Actually I was quite surprised that this irregular lens behavior went unnoticed or undiscussed. I am glad it's finally fixed - though ironically the fix description is inaccurate. But the result is better than expected. ;)

This problem was especially annoying with the default shutdown timer. Regardless of the aperture being set, it would return to f/4 (or sometimes f/5.6, I think) when the camera was on again.

Edited by Mary Doo
  • Like 1