New film from Kodak

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by dave_luttmann, Feb 15, 2010.

1. This could be some interesting news from Kodak: Inside Analog Photo Scott DiSabato, manager for professional films, said that Kodak will introduce a new film in the next few weeks.
    Anyone heard anything further?

2. I hope it is an EKTAR 400.

3. That's what I'm hoping. That would be ideal for the camera bag. A body with each film....ready for anything! That said....Ektar 100 in 4x5 sheets would be pretty tasty as well!!!

4. At best I think it would be ektar in sheets.

5. I would rather have one of the existing black and white films in 220 than any new color film.

6. I would love to see, a new E-6, a new black and white or even some black and white paper!

7. I'm thinking maybe someone heard "introduce a new film", but kodak meant "discontinue more film", or maybe kodak means "start making the same film in a new size".

8. Scott DiSabato was pretty clear....it's not discontinue.

9. The subtext of the press releases with the Ektar 100 announcement was that "pigs wil lfly before Kodak releases another E-6 film". Nobody in their right mind would invest the capital in a new E-6 film, as they would never earn it back. Even Fuji's last E-6 film wasn't a new film, it was just getting the Velvia 50 "recipe" working again.
    Ektar 400 sure seems likely to me, as nothing has replaced Ultra Color 400 yet.
    Other possibility is a version of Portra 800 using the Vision3 technology from Eastman, just like Porta 400NC-3 and 400VC-3 use. But I think that's not as likely as Ektar 400, as the EI 800 and up market is going to the full-frame digital cameras really fast.
    Last possibility is a new version of TMX with the same technology as TMY. It would have insanely fine grain. But does anyone really need that fine grain?

10. Listen to us.. Like kids waiting for the Sears Catalog before Christmas.

11. I think that either Kodak or Fuji unveiling ANY new emulsion these days is something to celebrate; I almost don't care if it ends up having the grain of sandpaper. I'll try it as long as they keep the price point reasonable.

12. I know what the film is and I am fairly sure that I can share the news in the next couple of days. Let me double check the
    info on my NDA.

13. All right Josh

14. Oh Josh....how cruel!!! ;-)

15. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

16. Yeah a new film. It's hard to imagine. Now I just need a lab to take it to.

17. ross b [​IMG], Feb 15, 2010; 07:33 p.m.
    Yeah a new film. It's hard to imagine. Now I just need a lab to take it to.​
    Well, if it's C41.....you'll have no problem finding one.

18. Become your own lab.

19. I have become 1 with the film and I think I have developed over the years. :)

20. I know what the film is and I am fairly sure that I can share the news in the next couple of days. Let me double check the info on my NDA.​
    You'll probably find that you just violated a term that says you can't tell people you have an NDA.

21. Now if only someone would make new film cameras.

22. By Josh's statement. We know that there will be a new film.

23. Film: Go on ebay, Anything you want, I recomend Contax but I am partial to Zeiss when it comes to glass.
    I sold my RTS but hung on to the Nikon F?
    I still use my Nikon F for film shots, its a kick in the As...Its a fun thing.

24. ooh...another new film! It's nice to see some GOOD news for a change!

I remember how excited I was a couple of years ago when Ektar first came out, and how anxious I was to try it. That definitely has not been a disappointment...I love Ektar.

Ektar 400 (if that's what it turns out to be) wouldn't be such a bad thing. I normally don't like higher ISO films...but if they can get it to be as saturated as Ektar 100, I would like that.

25. Yes we do. I wonder if Epson or Kodak or anyone will move in? Plusteck even moved out of North America.

26. Kodak should make a replacement for the Coolscan 5000. They'd have the dedicated scanner market....at least in the under $1000 category.....hopefully.

27. I'm hoping that it's an Ektar 800 that has the overall image quality of the old Ektar 25.

28. Whatever it is I REALLY hope they make it in medium format!

29. Pretty much any new film would be great. Anything new in Ektar would be great. 400 or 4x5 would make me wet myself with excitement. (that's only a partial exaggeration)

30. Wishing it is a film that will have similar characteristics as the DSLRs output.....:)

31. http://www.photographyblog.com/news/kodak_ektar_100_sheet_film/
    This it?

32. I'm hoping for a new disk film.

33. It is Ektar 100 in sheet film sizes, 4x5 and 8x10.

34. Archie Alcantara , Feb 16, 2010; 12:46 a.m.
    Wishing it is a film that will have similar characteristics as the DSLRs output.....:)
    You mean flat, lifeless, and two dimensional? ;-)

35. Looks like Ektar 4x5!!!!!!!
    http://www.photographyblog.com/news/kodak_ektar_100_sheet_film/

36. While its great that they are introducing it in sheets, its hardly a "new film"

37. Maybe there is still a "new film" to come? :)

38. Agreed, Bob - a bit anticlimactic. But maybe I expect too much these days.

39. I had read it wrongly --
    I read it as "new-film introduction" I should have read as "new film-introduction".

40. This is probably going to end up being my main film for 4x5....that and Delta 100 for B&W. Kinda was hoping for Ektar 400 though....but this is welcome news!

41. I'll sure buy some Ektar 100 4X5, but I was hoping for Ektar in 220. Sigh!

42. 4x5 ektar: sign me up!

43. While shoot B&W in 4x5. It will be great to try it. Also, it shows that Kodak won't forget the LF users.

44. Sheet film Ektar!?! I'll be first in line. Would love a 400 speed Ektar too. Any new film coming from the Great Yellow Father is great news. YAY, Kodak!

45. OH BOY!!! Apparently putting out THE SAME PRODUCT in sizes that it SHOULD have been offered in from the get go is the same thing as "a new film".

46. Bob Himmelright , Feb 16, 2010; 02:53 p.m.
    OH BOY!!! Apparently putting out THE SAME PRODUCT in sizes that it SHOULD have been offered in from the get go is the same thing as "a new film".​
    Thanks for stopping by.

47. That's a cool thing, but rather underwhelming. You're not likely to see a grain benefit in Ektar 100 4x5 over Portra 160 varieties. But I like the Ektar Color pallette so I'll buy some for my Crown Graphic. Let's hope they make it in 10 and 25 sheet boxes.
    A high speed (400-800) Ektar would be something to get excited about....

48. Ektar 100 in sheet film wont create as much buzz as the iPad, but it is a new product. Most of the layers will be the same as the 35mm version, but the support and some of the lower layers in the structure will require some modification.
    I need to get my view camera out again.

49. Well it is a new film as I bet you the base and the way it is coated is different than roll films.

50. The fact that Kodak will maket a new film, shows that they haven't given up on us.

51. They havn't given up on us maybe , but that doesn't mean they havn't got means & ways to shut us up either.

52. Excellent! I wanted to try Ektar 100 but was curious as to why it wasn't offered in sheet format.

53. Could Josh Root chime in and let us know if this is the new product that you said you knew about or is there an actual new film coming.....

54. Agreed Patrick....I'm curious as well.....

55. They're(Kodak) going to dig Verichrome Pan up from the grave and make an awful lot of us happy. I wish! JohnW

56. John....for me it's Tech Pan or bust!!!

57. Dave, Tech Pan was great with my Rollei 35T when I wanted to show how sharp a 35mm could be. In fact I still have 6 liquid, 7 powder and six liquid in the little plastic bottles of Technidol Developer left just waiting for Tech Pan to be resurrected. Still, I'd rather see some Verichrome in my developing tanks. Just really easy film to work with and great results in MF. JohnW

58. My wish would be for Ektar rebalanced for skin tones

59. Dave, for me, it's Panatomic-X. Have one roll of 120 Tech Pan left.

60. I'm down to 14 rolls of 120, and about a dozen of 35mm for Tech Pan. Wonderful in 120 format. Doesn't matter how high the scanning rez.....you'll never see grain!

61. Well another news release from Kodak
    http://www.twinlenslife.com/2010/02/films-future-is-far-brighter-than.html

62. How does Adox compare to Tech Pan? Anyone shot both?

63. I have shot the Rollei TP film and Here are some from it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jokerphotography/sets/72157619385388775/
    And from the real thing I have in the freezer.
    [​IMG]

64. Thanks Larry. Brian & Brandon are great photographers. I love the updates they put on their blog. Check out their interview at Inside Analog Photo Radio.