"New" F1 / F1N meter obstructed when changing shutter speed

jon_duenas

<p>I recently bought the newer model F1 (F1N) from a guy online. When I received it, I noticed something odd when looking at the meter in the viewfinder. When changing the shutter speed from a slower number to a faster one (for example, 1/125 > 1/500) the aperture scale for metering on the right side of the viewfinder gets obstructed or blocked. Sometimes it's fully blocked, other times it's slanted at an angle so the bottom half is blocked but you can see part of the top half. This happens at EVERY shutter speed on the dial, but only when turning it right/faster. When turned back to the left/slower, it becomes unblocked. Now, I know that this aperture scale is supposed to be blocked when put into "A" mode, but obviously the camera is malfunctioning and causing it to block when it shouldn't be. At first I thought it was a viewfinder issue, but it happens with the AE finder and the regular one, and I confirmed it by taking off the finder all together and seeing it happen in the tiny window where this scale is on the left of the focusing screen. Now, this doesn't severely affect it's functionality, but obviously I bought the camera because the description was that it was "fully operational" and paid accordingly. Ideally an easy fix would be great, but if this needs to go to a shop for repair, any recommendations for a place I can send it to would be great, as no one in my city will work on these.</p><div>00eLJR-567620084.thumb.jpg.93bca4d57415ea5b217cdf59b1178a8f.jpg</div>

<p>Jon, you do have an issue in there, likely a mask that has become loose. Your photo shows this, and your camera should not do that. Mine does not have the issue yours does.</p>

<p>Best bet, if you really like the camera, is to knuckle under and get it serviced. Canon’s of this vintage “almost always” are in need of new rear door dust seals and a new mirror foam ‘bounce’ cushion. They deteriorate, fall apart, let gunk into the camera, and also can leave a gooey adhesive on the mirror which is a real pain for service personnel.</p>

<p>You did not mention your city. If you are in the United States, there are two really great people to service the old Canon F series. I have used both. Repairs were exemplary, and costs reasonable.</p>

<p>Ken Oikawa<br>

28288 West Worcester Road<br>

Sun City, California, 92586<br>

951-246-9136<br>

Ken prefers items to be sent via USPS, NOT UPS nor FEDEX.<br>

He does not do PayPal and will call and request a personal check after he evaluates your repair. This is usually the same day he receives your item.<br>

Turnaround time for many Canon A, EF, F and FD items (~ the 10 or so) he has done for me has averaged about one week each.</p>

<p>He is also a good friend of Steve at Camera Clinic in North Dakota, and on occasion, Ken says they will ‘trade’ certain work issues, if required, to expedite repairs / parts issues.</p>

<p>Steve Sweringen at:<br>

Camera Clinic<br>

406 13th Ave NW<br /> Mandan, ND 58554<br /> Phone: 775-829-2244</p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>

"My film died of exposure."

<p>USE Camera Clinic. While Ken has a good reputation he's hard to get a hold of. I gave up after a couple of years of calling. I sent my T90 to Camera Clinic and my camera is as good as new with new magnets, the old ones would go bad and cause eeeee errors. In the near future I'm sending him my F-1N because of the awesome experience I had. Steve at CC is also easy to contact and he loves to talk about Canon's. </p>