New eyes/viewfinder on Digilux 2/ Panasonic LC1

Mike,

From Andy Pipers Digilux 2 review on this site.

"Some people have experimented with using accessory viewfinders, rangefinder-style, to avoid the EVF. I tried it myself - and went back to just using the built-in finder. Didn?t like being limited to one or two focal lengths; didn?t like the parallax error; didn?t like the big lens protuding into the viewfinder corner; didn?t like the extra bulk on top. Very strange - since I use the same finders, with the same limitations, all the time for film photography."

I'm getting used to the EVF.

Les

I've used my Digilux 2 in all kinds of lighting conditions - both LCD and EVF - and I

feel like the complaints about viewfinding are way overblown.

My opinion is that the LCD is one of the best, if not the best, ones on any digital

camera, even in bright light. I set the manual focus for full-screen view and I can

focus quickly and accurately with it, then touch the shutter release button to return to

the full image.

And I've used many a Leica, with and without optical VFs (also a Hassy SWC for 15

years) and I much prefer working with the D2 to those. I like seeing exactly what I'm

getting.<div>00C9Ak-23429284.jpg.96b4ae61cb86900ba20f83331d495ceb.jpg</div>

If you see it as a mini-view camera it's undoubtedly almost as good as various other P&S digicams, but if you see it as a Leica-rangefinder-equivalent there are a half dozen better alternatives.

A 7MP Sony P&S is better quality construction than the Leica (metal), enjoys a Zeiss zoom Tessar, has a tunnel optical viewfinder (like IIIF!), and has an accessory shoe in which I'd consider installing my Nikon optical viewfinder (I don't want to install a $300 mint 35mm optical Leica finder on a $500 p&s, even if it is a better camera than the D2.