New England area high schools see a very active darkroom scene..

<p>http://betaboston.com/news/2014/06/17/darkroom-over-digital-film-photography-still-popular-at-some-local-schools/<br>

<br /> One thing I have noticed in the past 5 years or so is that more and more of the young people I encounter are *really* taking a liking if not love to film and the darkroom. I now mentor several and it is wonderful to see the energy and fresh eye behind the lens, without all the baggage & bitterness that seems to often plague Gen-X and beyond.<br /> <br /> I think a misconception associated with the entirety of the analog world becoming niche territory is that young people don't care and that they just want to text all day and don't even know what film is or are at best, hipsters who will move on to the next fad. I find this to be a very stereotypical view that is odd in how it speaks for these younger folks instead of asking them for one's self....or really listening to them.<br /> <br /> The article really speaks to this, that it is not just a fad, a clothing accessory or some form of rebellion but a way for these students to connect to the same world we all live in, but on their terms, in a different manner than what is now very much mainstream.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>“There’s a maximum of 15 students per class, and classes are always full,” he said, adding that the wait list for classes is usually in the hundreds of students.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wow...hundreds, that is fantastic....<br /> <br /> I have long said on here that film and the darkroom, not digital, is my future, not my past and I believe that more than ever before. I remember the heated discussions on this very forum around the prediction of film's extinction some ten years ago...it's a good thing for all of us that has not happened nor will it, losing options is never a good thing.<br /> <br /> Thank god it is all settling down now...and thank god for the young people who are not convinced that what is mainstream is the right method of expression for them...</p>

<p>Very encouraging. When creating an image becomes too easy, it is natural to cut corners in the photographic approach and execution. Although they are very familiar with the most advanced consumer electronic imaging products young people often want to engage in more measured and thoughtful approaches to photography, which is part of a photography education, whether digital or film based. The choice of analog is often made in that sense. Although older than high school students, I have a handful of young friends (25ish) working in the cinema and communications field with advanced equipment who, upon visiting my darkroom, are blown away experiencing it, and some tell me that their wish is to set up a similar facility someday. If we keep the silver base emulsions and chemical industries viable with our purchases they will likely be able to realize that wish.</p>

I'm encouraged to see that my local camera store offers b&w film developing and enlarging classes. Although I no longer develop and print film, remembering the thrill of seeing pictures appear as if by magic. . .<br>

<br>Taking pictures on film is an act of faith.  Without faith in the process I wouldn't be taking pictures on film.  The results of the process justify the faith, as if faith needs justification.  Yeah, I'm romanticizing but I love film, even the wait to get it back from the lab. Took a roll in today.  --Sally

<p>We are finding the same thing here in the UK. I have advised a number of schools and other youth organisations in the establishing, or refurbishing of, a darkroom. Three years ago, or thereabouts, there were only two public-access darkrooms in Britain, now there are over fifty.</p>

I donated a Nikon film body and lenses a few years ago to a local high school. They seemed appreciative. Maybe they we

just being polite, tho!

At around the same time, however, I was talking to a friend of my son who loves photography. I asked him if he ever shot

film, intending to offer him my old Nikon N90s. He responded that he would like to but didn't have the equipment. Later in

the conversation it became clear that for him "shooting film" meant "shooting video". He politely declined the N90s.

Test

<p>Meanwhile, sales of film and film cameras continue to</p>

<p>(1) decrease</p>

<p>(2) increase</p>

<p>or (3) remain the same.</p>

<p>I have lots of film in my freezer, but what am I doing with it? Nothing. It isn't that I hate film. It is simply too much trouble.</p>

<p>Are we better at photography and post-processing because we have to slow down? No, we are not, but that myth refuses to go away.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I remember the heated discussions on this very forum around the prediction of film's extinction some ten years ago</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I remember that. When it was predicted that film only had five years left!</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Meanwhile, sales of film and film cameras continue to<br>

(1) decrease<br>

(2) increase<br>

or (3) remain the same.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Cameras - decrease.<br>

Film - increas (slightly).</p>

<p><em>"Are we better at photography and post-processing because we have to slow down? No, we are not, but that myth refuses to go away."</em><br /> <br /> Lannie, I don't think you really need to ask your question. Your second sentence seems to answer it for you.</p>

<p>Both digital and analogue photography have different types of practitioners, just as one painter (a well esteemed one whose work hangs in galleries around the world) is known to pass 6 months on a single work, whereas a speed painter from a local villlage here prides himself on the 20 minutes it requires to produce another (pretty but not very challenging) painting.</p>

<p>If kids want to use slow film and darkroom exposure and processing, often in tandem with the use of the digital medium, why bemoan that popularity? They are obviously getting pleasure and education from that approach and achieving good results. They are not likely to be worrying much about what makes for "better" photography and post-exposure.</p>

<p>The important thing is that at least some of these students stick with film after the class. Of the thousands worldwide who take classes it would be good if perhaps 10% continue with it as a hobby.<br>

There is another thing to consider. Eventually film cameras, or those who service them, will dry up and producing a new camera, say a basic 35mm SLR, that is reasonably reliable would cost so much new that students would balk at the price. I notice that the Nikon FM10 is now over $300 with a plasticky, slow zoom. </p>

John makes a good point: as long as

there is a critical mass of film users

(10% sounds right), film will remain

indefinitely. I don't really mind if film never goes beyond that number. But it would be nice.

Off-topic: The FM10 is a piece of junk

and there are better - and similar -

cameras for less money.

<p>The Chinese will always craft the very reasonably priced K-1000 for Pentax, as they have previoiusly done, as long as there is a need. A manual metered, non autofocus and robust camera with a good selection of lenses is all anyone really needs to enjoy most forms/applications of photography.</p>

<p>One thing I would like to see change in the analog movement is that instead of darkroom equipment going to the landfill, someone like Ilford & Freestyle team up underwrite a restoration and retail operation of this otherwise usable equipment. <br>

At some point, a lot of what can be bought new as high priced gear will no longer be available and it would be a shame to not have as much used gear to employ if it all gets prematurely discarded. <br>

It could even be made to look cool, new paint jobs, fun "classic car" like restorations. I sure hope this happens sooner than later, a lot of great darkroom equipment is out there for the taking. </p>