New E-PL1 user - any tips/suggestions/advice?

r.t. dowling

<p>My new E-PL1 just arrived (no thanks to the UPS man who tossed it onto the stoop without so much as ringing the bell or knocking on the door). As I mentioned in another thread, I got the black one with 14-42 lens, brand new, for $279 with free shipping and a free accidental damage warranty. At that price I just couldn't pass it up.</p>

<p>My DSLR (Pentax K100D) is getting a bit long in the tooth, and my point-and-shoot (Panasonic ZS-7) is pretty much useless above ISO 200. I'm hoping the E-PL1 will be a useful bridge between the two.</p>

<p>I also bought a RainbowImaging Pentax K adapter, and will probably buy the Nikon F adapter if the Pentax one performs satisfactorily.</p>

<p>So, I'd love to hear from the E-PL1 users who've been shooting with these cams for a while. If there's anything you think I should know, I'm all ears. :-)</p>

<p>Update the firmware.</p>

<p>All the Pen cameras are highly configurable, things are buried in very non obvious places in the menus and the manual isn't very helpful in figuring out what is useful. Read through some of the DP Review for some of the Pen reviews where they walk through the menus and settings.</p>

<p>Pens are very useable up to ISO 800. They really come into their own with fast primes.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks, Bruce! I'm charging the battery now and will update the firmware next.</p>

<p>I've looked at the test images on DPReview and the high-ISO noise levels seem at least as good as my 6mp APS-C Pentax (which was one of the low-noise champions of its time). Not bad at all, considering the E-PL1 has twice as many pixels.</p>

<p>I'm really looking forward to using my Pentax 50/1.7 and Nikon 28/2.8 primes with it. </p>

<p>My EPL1 and Panasonic 20 1.7 lens are a wonderful combination. Because the EPL1 has a weak AA filter and the lens is sharp, this setup produces some wonderfully sharp photos - in fact, it's almost TOO sharp for portraits. And as Bruce says, the camera is very configurable and the manual isn't always helpful, so read some reviews online and you'll get some good tips.</p>

<p>By the way, as of yesterday you can get an EPL1 (body only) from Amazon for $149.</p>