New Digital Negative converter From Adobe

Adobe introduced a converter that standardizes RAW files to one format to make archiving

from multiple cameras easier. It is also huge for Nkion D70 users because it quickly

changes the NEF file to a DNG file and then when you open the DNG in photoshop you

have much more control and faster than going straight from the D70 file.

He is referring to <a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/main.html">Adobe's new DNG format.</a> They are using the term "digital negative" to refer to a standardized RAW format for all cameras. I think they decided that since everyone tries to load their camera files into Adobe's software, they are in the best position to develop a standard format for all camera manufacturers to use. It's a brilliant idea if the big players agree to use it.

Shawn, you indicate you have much more control with an NEF file converted to DNG format in Photoshop. Its possible you are getting a different RAW converter when you use the DNG format.

If you installed the Nikon software, it makes itself the default RAW converter in Photoshop and it has less control than the Photoshop RAW converter. Since the Nikon RAW converter does not work with a DNG file, you would get the Photoshop RAW converter, which has much more control. You can remove the Nikon RAW converter from Photoshop and get the Photoshop RAW converter for the NEF file. Just a thought.

Robert's right, my friend with a d70 had to remove the (horrible) nikon-provided plugin to get the preferred adobe converter. Look in the 'file formats' directory in your photoshop installation for the .8bi file of nikon's and delete it, then photoshop will load the adobe raw converter when you load .NEF files.

True Nikon's raw conerter is fine, but I don't shoot many NEF files and don't want to spend

the $100 for it for the very limted use. I have only used raw 3 times. Once was strictly for

test purposes.

Photoshop Cs can open NEF files through it's converter but with very limietd control and it

is a little slow. Converting files to the DNG format only took about 10 sec each even with

my 4 year old computer. The DNG file has use of Adobe full raw converter, and the two

step conversion is actually faster than the other way.