New Delhi bomb blast photos

Hello everybody, Here are some photos that I shot with my Leica m6ttl in New Delhi, India

on October 29, 2005. These photos were taken on the Main Bazaar in Paharganj when

some Islamic extremists detonated a bomb the night before the Diwali festival. I was in

India working independently on some documentary projects with my Leica, and I was in

New Delhi that weekend waiting for my Pakistani visa so I could go the earthquake

affected region. I posted some questions on this forum while I was in Pakistan because I

was having some issues with my light meter and I received some interesting responses,

those who responded know who they are. Anyways, I contacted Gamma in Paris who sold

some of my photos of the bomb blast to Paris Match, I ended up getting 4 pages

published in the early November issue. I was asked by some members of this forum if I

could post some of my images and I stated that I when I got back to the states I would.

Well, I am back in the states and I am currently trying to build a website and I decided to

share these photos with the members of this forum. These photos were developed by a

commercial lab overnight in Delhi, they did not do a good job and they have to be re-

washed in some photoflo when I get back in the darkroom, and the images could use

some adjustments in Photoshop, so please save the criticism about the quality of the

scans, it was a miracle that I found someone willing to develop two rolls of tri-x on a

Saturday night in New Delhi, after a terrorist attack. The bomb detonated 18 minutes after

the sun went down, I know this because it was Ramadam, there was little light to work

with, my shutter speeds were slow, my lens were wide open, there was fire and body parts

all around me, it was total chaos, and the fact that I was 30 seconds away from where the

bomb went off and my life almost ended, needless to say it was a very difficult thing for

me to photograph. I have many photographs that I would like to share with the members

of this forum, because some of you have given me valuable advice while I was in India and

Pakistan and I appreciate that. I hope that I can complete my website and get some of my

images up soon. Thanks and sorry for this being so long......Michael Bialecki

God, how does one respond to this? I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like to witness this, let alone take photos. I take that back. After looking at the photo more, I think maybe I can actually "begin" (only begin) to imagine what it must have been like. Thank you for sharing. In a way I look forward to seeing more and in another I'd just as soon never seen them again.

Michael, any advice or comfort the forum has given you is more than repaid by this one image alone. I can't wait to see more, and I want to thank you for pushing through what must have been incredible horror, fear, and sadness to take these pictures.

This kind of testimony is direct evidence of the truth of the Buddha's words: "Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is unalterable law."

I was among those asking that you post upon your return, Michael.

My goodness! A harrowing and terrible event. That you were able to photograph it at all, much less as capably and vividly as you have, shows your seriousness and your commitment.

Glad you're back safe, and I look forward to seeing more.

Mike,

Thank god you were alright, it's amazing sometimes how fate works in that you were only 30 seconds away from the blast. Sometimes seconds can change lives forever.

This image is a fascinating one. The look in the face of the central figure is incredible coupled with it's sharpness in comparison to the rest of the photo.

It reminded me of 9/11 and the images that surfaced after that horrific event.

Again, thank god you were o.k., that's the most important thing.

What's amazing to me is that Michael bothered to come back here and share his work after the way he was treated and accused in <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EAD8">this thread</a> which was never edited or deleted. Someone accused me of being a pseudonym and having multiple pseudonyms on a thread yesterday, I guess this must be some sort of initiation rite? Actually I have to thank Michael for his example, if a photog with his kind of chops can ignore the pinheads, an average joe like me can too.

"Eric ~ Prolific Poster, feb 05, 2006; 11:29 p.m.

I'm curious how a new member can remember an old thread so well, Tony?"

What to remember? I loved the photo Michael posted here, so I clicked on his name to learn more about him, and there I read through his previous posts. There were only a few, including the one where he was basically accused of being a fraud.