New D200 Dead Pixel

efusco

<p>I noticed an unexpected black spec on an early image out of my D200

the other day. Wasn't sure what it was so I did a little research on

hot,dead, & stuck pixels.

<p>Using the D200's Multiple Exposure feature (shooting menu) to

create an "ubermask" (see: <a

href="http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~jduffy/699/" target="_blank">

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~jduffy/699/</a> } by shooting a 10 exposure shot.

<p>This confirmed that I do, indeed, have a single dead pixel on my

brand new camera. See photos at: <a

href="http://www.pbase.com/efusco/d200" target="_blank">

http://www.pbase.com/efusco/d200</a>

<p>My question. Is this a common finding on a new camera. Should I

immediately send the camera in or just deal with the dead pixel.

Should I expect it to be perfect 'out of the box'? I don't wanna

over-react but I also don't wnat to have to deal with this dead pixel

forever if it's something folks general have fixed early on.

<p>comments, suggestions, advice?<div>00EaZE-27086084.jpg.a1bca40410afbb62048e3a43b3e63809.jpg</div>

Send it in for repair under warranty. Nikon will remap that pixel to an adjacent pixel and you

will be all set.

<br>

Dead pixels are common in a variety of devices: Cameras, televisions, LCD monitors, etc.

Most manufacturers publicly announce what they consider to be their threshold for replacing

(vs. fixing via remapping). For example Formac's <a href="http://mail.formac.co.uk/webapp/

support_enduser_faq_detail.php?faqID=14">replacement policy</a> is a minimum of 5 - 7

stuck pixels.

If it were me I might consider using the camera for a few months, dealing with the pixel, then send it in while still well within warranty. That way if any other pixels happen to go hot, they can be dealt with at that time. Or perhaps something else needs a tweak after 3 months... that sort of thing. Just a thought. -Greg-

I used to work in camera shops back in the 70's, here is what you need to do, put everything

back in the box and rerturn it immediately. Hopefully you haven't filled out the warentee

card yet, if you have you will have to send it to Nikon. Any reputable retailer will exchange

cameras for you, they will simply return to Nikon for credit. I recently did this with a Palm

LifeDrive I bought at CompUSA, no hassle, they just gave me a new one and I had had this for

6 weeks! Insist on a new exchange, you do not want to keep this camera, unless you enjoy

post production on every single image! BTW: My routine with new stuff is to wait 2 months

on warantee cards, if an electronic devise fails it usually fails early, good luck.

I think I would keep & use the camera for a few months until the initial demand of the D200 gets to be a bit lower. This is because your camera will likely be serviced quicker after all the hassle with a new D200 model has settled a bit. And you do want to use it, it's unlikely that they'd give you a replacement just for a thing like this right now because they are in short supply. And you can always have it fixed a bit later.

I think I will wait a little bit. I don't think that one pixel's going to be a big deal and I want to make sure no other issues crop up. I do need to get this off and back before May though for a big planned trip then. And knowing Nikon's typical turn around time......

Evan, why not at least try to exchange it with the camera dealer? What have

you got to loose, if that doesn't work you can always take the other route. I like

Rick's advice. I would pack it back up real nice and take it right back to the

camera store with a few prints of the dead pixel.

Happy Holidays All!

D

My D2H developed a hot pixel within a couple of months after buying it. No other pixels have gone bad. It's seldom visible, being in the lower right hand corner which is often cropped anyway, and if it does happen to show it's easily touched up. But I should send it in while the camera's under warranty. I just haven't had a long enough break when I wasn't using the camera regularly.

Thanks again for everyone's (varied) suggestions.

I took the camera by my photo store today where I bought it. Not suprisingly they had no cameras on hand for which to exchange. One of the salesmen there that I know (took care of as a patient once actually) took my name and number down allegedly to call me if/when they get some in again.

I guess I'll just wait a while...I don't feel a big urge to rush but do want it fixed before my Ireland trip this Spring.