New computer coming. How to replace Photoshop?

It's been asked many times before, but here's another what to replace Photoshop question. Current software - Photoshop CS6/Nik collection. Current cameras D80 and D700. Current computer - MacBook Pro, about 4 yrs old. Life is good. But - New camera (D7500) and new computer on the horizon. I highly doubt I'll be able to load the CS6 on the new machine. And no way will I get into a credit card in perpetuity payment for a C.C. subscription. (FWIW just had Sirius radio throw a little tantrum when I paid them with a money order, instead of a personal check or C.C. (End result, won't renew with them.)

So where to go from here? Luminar? Affinity? ACDSee? Definitely want to be able to keep using NIK which I utilize for a number of effects.

Thanks.

Assuming you have the password and the distribution DVD there is no reason you should not be able to load Photoshop CS6 on your new machine. Just be sure to deactivate it on the old machine first, before you decommission the old machine.

I have CS5 not CS6. On CS5 you select HELP and then select "Deactivate". Of course you must be connected to the Internet when you do this.

At least that is how you do it on a Windows machine.

I'm generally against subscriptions for every piece of software- I'd go broke! That said, I've got Win10 on a new machine with a subscription to MS Office, and I'm very happy with it. A subscription to PS might not be the horror everybody thinks, if PS is what you want to use. Every company has its detractors, and for me it's Adobe. I find their programs to be overly complex and expensive bloatware. Everything I've ever wanted or needed to do in terms of editing, I've done with Paint Shop Pro. The latest versions are extremely capable, especially if you customize the interface a bit.

Somewhere I have the original DVD - will try an install. Definitely prefer to stay with CS6/NIK - will not move to a cloud and cc payments that never end. Will use DNG format for NEFS and new camera.

Why aren't you using Migration Assistant? It will effectively clone your old Mac to your new one.

Adobe products, including Photoshop CC6, are activated through Adobe. You have up to two installations, then you must deactivate the produce(s) on one computer in order to add them to another. I'm pretty sure that's true even if you use Migration Assistant. You must also reactivate if you replace the system hard drive with a clean re-install. If you forget to de-activate, Adobe has willing to give you a pass code to proceed. One or both computers can be a PC or a Mac.

The subscription to all Adobe produces is $50/month (less the first year if you get in on a promotion). That's much cheaper for me than individual updates. You can also "rent" Photoshop and Lightroom for $10/month, payable on a yearly basis. I have the full monty on my desktop, but only PS and LR on two laptops. You're not supposed to use both copies at the same time. Since I'm the only user, I'm in compliance.

... you must deactivate the produce(s) on one computer in order to add them to another. I'm pretty sure that's true even if you use Migration Assistant. You must also reactivate if you replace the system hard drive with a clean re-install. If you forget to de-activate, Adobe has willing to give you a pass code to proceed.

Never had to do this. I have CS5 running on 3 different Macs, one original DVD install and two by Migration Assistant.

Perhaps Adobe no longer tracks products that old. CS5 was released in 2010, CS6 in 2012. Creative Cloud was introduced the following year, in 2013. I do recall working with an Adobe technician to re-register Photoshop (et. al.) when I replaced a bad drive. This was probably earlier than 2010. Creative Cloud is much simpler. You log in and deactivate one computer or drive then activate the new one. You have about a month of demo (full functionality) status before you have to do anything other than download and install the products. I have full access to older products, including CS6, under my current license.

If you must be connected to the internet in order to activate a product, someone is watching.

IN case you do not get things to work, Affinity Photo is worth trying. It's great value, maybe it doesn't have all bells and whistles that Photoshop has, but frankly I never found much missing, and it does take the Nik plugins as well.

But by the sound of it, it should not be an issue to carry your existing CS6 across, which of course is still cheaper than getting something new, plus Affinity will pose a bit of a learning curve as its user interface does differ from Adobe's.

CS5. It works fine under MacOS Sierra. It is supposed to work on High Sierra, too.

I have CS5 and it does work on High Sierra. I meant to upgrade to Sierra first, but forgot until it was too late. But High Sierra is ok with it.

I know a few photographers who do the CC thing and like it. They use PS and LR a lot, so I think that figures in. They are also the types to get the new versions soon after they come out. With the changes to LR, some are looking at what else is out there, though.

• 1 month later...

Some of us have work computers for our images that do not, never ever - connect to the Internet.

Has been a few years since I had a problem with CS6 but last time I just deleted and re-loaded and entered in my serial numbers and all worked fine.

Am looking at other programs for when I finally make a change from Photoshop. I know it will happen one of these days. I don't and won't use any subscription services for various reasons. Just one being that the work computer never, ever goes online for anything.

• 1 month later...

You need your serial number for CS6, but I don't think Adobe requires an on-line activation for legacy products like this version. If it is registered with Adobe, you can log in and recover the serial number. You can use Migration Assistant, but you still need the serial number to activate the transferred program. You're reloading a new Mac, but if others are changing from PC to Mac (or vice versa), you can download either version.

Download Adobe Creative Suite 6 applications

A subscription to the latest version of Photoshop + Lightroom costs $10/mo, actually $127 with tax payable up front. The entire collection, including CS6 and other legacy versions, costs $50/mo. Subscriptions allow two installs.

If you buy another Mac, you should have no problem transferring your programs over. They should work just fine. Its good to have the serial number, but I don't remember having to use it when I used migration assistant. Ed are you sure that's the case? Also, I'm one of those that thing the cc prescription model works great. 10 a month and you have the latest versions and whatever fixes and tools they add. Both LR and PS. But I know some don't like that method.
  • Like 1