New Collar for my 200-500mm

pcassity

i want to replace the collar on my 200-500 but it looks like there is only a couple of options. One from Kirk and the other Really Right Stuff. I’ll be using it on a Manfrotto monopod. Would love to hear what your using and if one better than the other.

You may want to read my recent thread:

Dropped 200-500mm Lens

Since the tripod collar on the 200-500mm/f5.6 is completely removable, I would prefer one that is not easily removed, such that the lens barrel cannot easily slip out of the collar. Of course, my lens dropped onto the floor because no camera body was attached. If there were a camera body, it would have stopped the lens from falling.

i want to replace the collar on my 200-500 but it looks like there is only a couple of options. One from Kirk and the other Really Right Stuff. I’ll be using it on a Manfrotto monopod. Would love to hear what your using and if one better than the other.

The RRS option contains two components. The Kirk option looks simpler. For replacement foot or plate, personally I always go with the lighter and simpler option, even if it just saves 1 teeny ounce of weight. By the way, there is a 3rd party option which very much looks like the Kirk design. Now it is fastened on my 200-500 (after the near-mishap of my 200-500 from the original collar). It seems to work very well and very tight. I have not tested every possible situation. Good luck.

For what it's worth, both the RRS and Kirk collars seem to be hinged - so they don't have slots for the lens to fall out of (the problem that Shun had). They do both open completely if you loosen them too much (at least, it appears the release screw is the tightening screw, which is how the collar on my 150mm Sigma is constructed), but I imagine this is less likely. So: much of a muchness, although if you're really keen you could look into the long lens support solutions that damp the front of the lens (I believe both have them, though they're not really designed for zooms).

I should say, with great sympathy to Shun, that both my 200-500 and 300 f/4 AF-S collars are constructed like this, I've always carried the lenses around by their feet, and I've never had a problem. But then I also always leave them locked solid. I can't say I wouldn't have the problem that Shun had in the future, but I wouldn't say it's a common failure either.