NEW Canon T5 Taking Very Poor Photos (Defective Lenses)

<p>I have owned many Canon film and point & shoot cameras over the years and have always taken great pictures. Recently there was a QVC special on a Canon T5 package that came with 2 lenses so I decided to purchase it. The 2 lenses it came with are the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens and a 75 to 300mm lens. I have mainly taken pictures in the Auto and Scenic modes using the 18-55mm lens and so far all of the pictures are not very sharp looking. Objects close to medium distances away are not very sharp but OK but anything a good distance away look out of focus. I hate to say this but my wife's Canon A570 any my A590 point & shoot cameras takes better pictures. The 2 lenses that came with the camera outfit look pretty cheap feeling and the multi-coating on the lenses look minimal and definitely not as good quality as my older lenses I had with my older Canon 35mm cameras I previously owned. My question is: Do the Canon low end (Auto Focus) lenses work well ? I am trying to figure out if its a poorly designed camera lens or a poorly designed camera ? I am next going to try using the program & manual modes and will be increasing the ASA up to 200 and I will try manually focusing the lens to see if there is any improvement. Any thoughts or suggests are most welcome.</p>

<p>Possibly a poor lens sample? If you are getting poor images, it is likely due to technique or lens quality. I've owned 2 copies of the 18-55 IS II, and while it won't compare to more expensive glass, it is not a bad lens. They are cheap, consumer grade lenses, but you should be able to take a good, sharp image. If you can post a picture that might help.</p>

<p>Post an example image; that will help more than speculating on what could be wrong or whether there is something wrong.<br>

Avoid jumping to conclusions, for example you cannot see with the naked eye whether multi-coating on one lens is better than on the other, nor whether camera or lens are designed poorly, or whether it is operator error, a defective product or likewise. Again, simply putting an image here with exposure data would help a lot.</p>

Quite a common complaint from first time DSLR users. In general your depth of field will be lower than that of a P&S. The

pictures may need some sharpening and other enhancements in order to get what you like.

I'd start with auto everything pictures under easy circumstances, sun in the back, etc. and move from there.

And indeed, posting a picture will help.

<p>[[Objects close to medium distances away are not very sharp but OK but anything a good distance away look out of focus. I hate to say this but my wife's Canon A570 any my A590 point & shoot cameras takes better pictures.]]</p>

<p>[[in general your depth of field will be lower than that of a P&S.]]</p>

<p>Yes, this is very likely the case here, though sample images would help. </p>

<p>Frank, a point and shoot, due to the design of the sensor and lenses will often give you everything from the foreground to infinity in focus. This is usually a problem, not a benefit, to most photographers (I realize I'm generalizing here). A DSLR, such as a T5, will allow you more opportunities to separate your subject from your foreground and/or background. Isolating the subject, bringing into focus (no pun intended) the true intent of your photograph, is one reason why photographers choose a DSLR system. </p>

<p>This sounds to me like user error. Remember, there are THREE components that go into a photography system. a) Camera, b) Lenses, c) Photographer. Certainly, I have not heard of any design flaws which are evident to the public at large, and while they DO feel cheap, the system you have is capable of generating very good imagery - I would even go so far as to say that it is very likely that the quality of the imagery is SUPERIOR to that from your older lenses. If it has been a long while since you've used a DSLR/SLR system, I'd suggest that it may be time to review some basics, and start from the beginning. </p>

<p>For example, try shooting at ISO400 or even ISO800, and see if that improves your shots, at ISO100 (which you've presumably been shooting at) w/ consumer zooms, the shutter speed is likely to be pretty slow, introducing camera shake, which will destroy any image.</p>

<p>I have the 18-55mm in a number of its iterations (I, II, STM). The last two are surprisingly good lenses, so unless they are damaged (pretty unlikely) you are doing something wrong. The coatings on these lenses are very good actually. They are however, "cheap feeling", I agree. But that is why they are inexpensive, it doesn't really have a bearing on their performance. So I suggest you persevere. Make sure that the AF system is actually focusing on what you want in focus. It might be better to use the central AF point for focusing rather than let the camera select the best AF point.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>If there is a filter on the lens please tell us what it is, or what it says around the rim, if anything.<br>

Also make certain that the AF is switched ON on the side of the lens. Do you hear the lens focusing when you half press the shutter button?</p>

<p>I called Canon Tech Support and their Rep stated that it was a good possibility that I had a defective lens. He also mentioned that the lenses in these kits were low end lenses and stated that a better quality lens would make a big difference. I packaged up everything up that came with the Canon T5 kit and returned it to QVC. I think that it would probably be better if I just purchased the body separately and then ordered better quality lenses. Again, I really appreciate everyone thoughts and suggestions.</p>

<p>Maybe you should send your body and camera to Canon Service - and find a solution.</p>

<p>________________________________________________________________________<br>

<a href="http://www.mariuspavel.ro/">Foto Nunta Brasov</a> | <a href="http://www.fotonuntabrasov.ro/">Fotograf Nunta Brasov</a> | <a href="http://www.foto-nunta-brasov.ro/">Foto Video Nunta Brasov</a> | <a href="http://www.fotovideobrasov.ro/">Foto Video Brasov</a></p>