New Canon EF 70-300 mm DO IS Lens - Shipping & Price Info

bv photography

I just checked Amazon.com @

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-

/B0001G6U3Y/qid=1082566124/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/103-9036020-9934255?

v=glance&s=photo

and the price of above lens is set at US$ 1,299.95 with availabilty

as: "This item will be released on May 1, 2004. You may order it now

and we will ship it to you when it arrives.".

Here in Canada, few Toronto dealers are also accepting pre-orders at

Can$1,790-1,890, but no words on availability dates yet.

That may be an optimistic shipping data. Canon reps have said they probably don't expect to see them before June.

<p>

The shipping on the 28-300L has been similarly delayed.

<p>

I actually spoke with Canon last week but they couldn't give me any firm date on availability.

<p>

The advantage of a pre-order is that when they finally get around to shipping them, you'll be ahead of the line, but it is frustrating to see shipping dates keep slipping.

<p>

I do have a <a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/28-300-70-300.html#do">brief writeup on the lens on my website</a> for those who don't have the technical specs.

<p>

It's an interesting lens and an alternative to the 100-400IS for those who don't want a large white lens (the DO is black and much smaller, in fact it's smaller than current 75-300 consumer lenses. It's about the size of the current 28-135IS). The price is very similar to the 100-400L IS ($1300). Performance remains to be seen but Canon claim "<em>substantially superior image quality and chromatic aberration correction compared to previous conventional 75-300mm designs"</em>. I do have a request in with Canon for a lens to review here on photo.net, but somewhow I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

It's going to be $1300 wherever you buy it for quite a while. Just like the prive on a 10D is $1499 and the price on a 300D is $899. You might get $50 off somewhere, but prices stay high on high demand/high end items, especially ones they don't sell many of.

I guess if people will pay $1300 for a 100-400IS, then they'll probably pay $1300 for a smaller, lighter 70-300DO IS if it lives up to Canon's claims. That's something we're just going to have to wait to find out. I intend to keep on requesting a review loaner from Canon, but like I said it's quite unlikely that one will be available (to photo.net) anytime before they actually start shipping.