New Canon 7D mk II (spec leaked)

edwardchen

<p>Much anticipated semi-pro cropped sensor camera is here: <br /> <br /><a href="http://www.thenewcamera.com/canon-7d-mark-ii-image-and-full-specification-leaked/">http://www.thenewcamera.com/canon-7d-ma … on-leaked/</a> <br /> <br />Canon 7D Mark II Major specification <br /> <br />- Body of tough magnesium alloy <br />- Dust and water <br />- 20.2MP CMOS sensor <br />- Dual Pixel CMOS AF <br />- A new 65-point AF. All points cross type <br />- EOS iTR AF <br />- Continuous shooting 10 frames / sec. <br />- Dual DIGIC6 <br />- Upper limit of the normal ISO sensitivity 16000 <br />- RGB + IR photometry sensor of new 150000 pixels <br />- Video Full HD 60p <br />- GPS Built-in <br />- Interval Timer <br />- Bulb Timer <br /> <br />If this is true, I can't be more excited. I have been longing for Nikon D300s replacement and canon just provides one with killer spec. <br /> <br />65 AF points all cross types? I am already happy with 5dmk3 41 cross types point, and this one will be more accurate in every AF points you choose. <br /> <br />GPS built-in. Every photos is geotagged. Awesomeness. <br /> <br />I am definitely getting one!</p>

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I thought lack of WiFi in this camera is due to its construction (all the metal inside)?</p>

<p>Its too bad Canon does make one of the plug in Wifi modules like Nikon has. Price it at $50. That would get the antennae outside the body interference. Actually, just include it with the body when sold new.</p>

<p>Boy I sure am glad they are using tough magnesium alloy! I can't stand the weak magnesium alloys!</p>

<p>... but is the dust sterile? I wouldn't want fungus laden dust</p>

<p>lol, this sounds like one of the fleabay 'imported direct from highest quality china" ads.</p>

<p>I won't get too excited about it until CANON releases the specs (if they ever do).</p>

<p>I have Wi-Fi in two of my cameras. I enjoyed playing with it for a few weeks and rarely use it anymore. The nicest feature was using my iPhone as a controller: worked great but sure ate batteries. But then I shoot hand held 99% of the time so Wi-Fi is right up there with the Direct Print button. Connecting to computers via Wi-Fi was a nightmare. Hopefully the 7D2 has a better GPS implementation than the 6D. The 6D is slow to lock and quick to lose the signal in big cities. 40 or 50% of my images don't get geotagged.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Next week is Photokina. If there is anywhere (and anywhen) that Canon would release information on a 7D MkII, it would be at Photokina on the first day, which is September 16th. I expect to see a release on that day.</p>

<p>I suspect this rumor is true, so this thread probably won't be removed (which is what happens to wild speculation!).</p>

<p>The spec list appears to be a Google translation from a Japanese website - http://digicame-info.com/2014/09/eos-7d-mark-ii-18.html, presumably it should be "dust and water resistant" of course</p>

<p>Bob, I'm sure you are right, and all the specs except for one sound like plausible upgrades for a potential 7D2 except one.</p>

<p>That is, of course, the 'normal' ISO limit of 16000, which is 1/3 stop above the full stop of 12800 I don't think I've ever seen a non-full stop limit before on a Canon. Although that is 1/3 stop above the 70D, which has (presumably) the same sensor. And that begs the question of whether H1 & H2 are 32000/64000 or 25600/51400 (not that I'd want to use either anyway ;) )</p>

<p>Ah well, we've all waited for years for the answers, it'd be nice if we finally got some...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I thought lack of WiFi in this camera is due to its construction (all the metal inside)?<br>

Its too bad Canon does make one of the plug in Wifi modules like Nikon has. Price it at $50. That would get the antennae outside the body interference. Actually, just include it with the body when sold new.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Construction: Maybe, but then why can it have GPS, but not WiFi? That's what doesn't make sense to me.</p>

<p>Canon does make a couple WiFi modules. Nowhere near $50, though! More like 10 times that! Seriously insane money for a chip that costs a couple bucks in quantity...</p>

<p>WiFi or not, I'm planning to get one...</p>

<p>I've seen this information in a lot of places. We'll see what happens next week.</p>

<p>The GPS is great, but I sure wish the ISO was higher. Low light capability similar to or better than the 5DIII would make this camera perfect for me.</p>

<p>Anyone seen any rumors on the price?</p>

<p><em>"why can it have GPS, but not WiFi"</em></p>

<p>There's a "hump" on top of the flash housing that presumably has the GPS antenna in it. Perhaps there wasn't room for WiFi too and/or a co-located WiFi antenna would interfere with GPS when the WiFi transmitted. There's really nowhere else outside the metal chassis they could have easily put it. For those who really need WiFi I'm sure there will be some sort of external "plug-in" option, hopefully at a price closer to that of the Nikon unit than the current Canon unit. If it uses SD cards <em>maybe</em> a WiFi SD card would work over short distances, despite being inside the metal housing.</p>

<p>See picture <a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_7D_mkii_prerelease.html">Here</a> of the hump on the flash cover.</p>

<p>I suspect the price will be somewhere between the 70D and the 6D, and not much different from the launch price of the 7D. I'd guess at maybe $1600?</p>

<p>My guess is $1800...$1900 new and will drop a few $$$ after the holidays.</p>

<p>The little Nikon wifi module is definitely priced nice and quite nice in size. I sure hope Canon goes there.</p>

<p>I tried a Eye-Fi card in a rebel and was ho-hum. I then tried it in my 5D2 (had to be in CF->SD adapter which didn't help) and it was so slow that I decided to sell the little card to a friend that could make better use of it than me. In the end what I liked best was the CF->SD card adapter which I now use all the time.</p>

<p>I suspect that little wifi card buried in a rugged body like the 7D2 is not going result in a enjoyable experience. Having wifi built into the device is much better as there is a nice configuration screen on the back vs having to move the Eye-Fi card back to a PC to configure it. I just don't get why they can't use a external antennae somehow.</p>

<p>Provided the "leaked" specs are close to what will be announce I must also admit a being a bit let down. I know that 7D2 will be a phenomenal camera, able to take fantastic images and video across all types of subjects, venues, etc. So I am not let down by this particular camera.</p>

<p>Actually, the let down is more like "Canon where are you...". Sony is out there developing some great imagers. Their partnerships are probably giving them financial breathing room to go there. So that then lets Nikon (and even Hasselblad) move forward when it comes to resolution and DR. </p>

<p>I really, really like Canon products and I just want to see them bring another hit (like the 5D2) to say we are here, we're not standing still and we can innovate. I guess I am hoping they will do that soon now but the 7D2 (unless there's a big surprise) seems like we'll now be seeing 5yrs of this 20MP crop sensor and another 3yrs before another FF. And who knows how long before a industry changing announcement?</p>

<p>Aside:<br>

Canon - how about a 40..50 megapixel imager. Square. Bigger than 35mm but doesn't need to be quite as big as 6x6. Let me mount my EF lenses on it and crop the image. Let me mount manual focus MF lenses on (and crop the sweet spot of the lens). No mirror. Nice EVF and articulating touchscreen. No video mode (saying a lot from me as I love DSLR video). Rock the low ISO (5), maybe max ISO of 3200. WiFi built in. Maybe a ND filter built in! Price it at about $3699. I will take my stash of Sony A7r money I have saved up put it towards this camera today. I get to keep using all my EF lenses (and have autofocus and aperture). And I can also use my Hasselblad lenses. I'll probably sell my Hasselblad kit and buy more Canon stuff. Come Canon bring digital MF to lowly masses :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>Canon - how about a 40..50 megapixel imager. Square. Bigger than 35mm but doesn't need to be quite as big as 6x6.</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

No market for it, or at least a very, very small pro market. Doesn't make economic sense to sink big R&D dollars into a niche market product.</p>

<p>The 7D is a fine APS-C camera. The 7D MkII will be even more capable. However for me there's a limit on how much extra "junk" I want in a camera. I don't want/need WiFi, GPS, or HD video. I don't want/need 10fps. To be perfectly honest, I'm happy with the 7D. Of course Canon have to keep adding stuff in order to sell new camera to people who don't have a 7D and to keep ahead of Nikon.</p>

<p>In reality, leaps and bounds in DSLR performance are becoming limited. The technology is pretty mature now. Sure you can slightly increase resolition, slightly lower noise, slightly improve AF and so on, but major leaps like those we saw 10 or 15 years ago in digital are unlikely to happen. And in fact they aren't actually needed for 95% of DSLR owners. Back in the days of 3MP cameras there was need for improvement. Now we're at 20+ MP improvements will be marginal.</p>

<p>Looks to me like Canon aren't looking to compete in the mirrorless camera business, which may or may not be a smart decision. `They're going head to head with Nikon, not Sony, for the traditional APS-C/FF market and with high end video camera makers with the EOS cinema DSLRs. They probably can't afford to get sidetracked into mirrorless. About the only thing that would drag them into it is if Nikon made a heavy investment in that direction, and maybe not even then.</p>

<p><em>"65 AF points all cross types? I am already happy with 5dmk3 41 cross types point, and this one will be more accurate in every AF points you choose.</em> "</p>

<p>I bet you they are all bunched up in the middle of the viewfinder...</p>

<p><em>Body of tough magnesium alloy</em><br>

What was it made out of before ?</p>

<p><em>20.2MP CMOS sensor</em><br>

As if 18 wasn't enough<br>

<em>GPS Built-in</em><br>

I bet journalist are going to have a ball with this one.<br>

<em>Interval Timer</em><br>

About time !</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm with Bob on this one. I still really like my 7D and find that it still serves me quite well 5 years later. I will get a 7DII though because I'm really excited about the new AF and the increase in performance (response and hopefully less noise) that I imagine the dual Digic 6 processors will bring. I'm also excited about the new pixel technology just because it's new technology but as I believe it affects video output more than still photography, it probably won't be of great benefit to me as I don't really give hoot about video on my dslr. It actually sounds like an exciting camera to me, not groundbreaking for sure, but still exciting. Now bring on the <em>"Is the 7DII better than the 5DIII"</em> threads!</p>

<p>I'm sure the 7DII is a great body, with significant improvements over the 7D, but the only thing that would induce me to upgrade my 7D is if the newer body has substantially better low ISO dynamic range. If it has a newly developed sensor (rather than just a variation on the 70D's sensor), this might well be the case.</p>

<p>Are there any specs yet on the 7DII's DR?</p>

<p>Specs will come next week, but Canon don't spec DR. For that you'll have to wait for a detailed review which might not appear for a month or more, depending on how quickly Canon can ship out samples for testing.</p>

<p>I'm guessing the sensor will at least be based on that of the 70D since it's the same size and also pixel count and uses dual pixels. It's possible the readout electronics may be different to enhance data transfer speed but I wouldn't hold my breath for any major difference in noise or DR. I very much doubt that Canon have gone to a new fabrication scheme and/or chip architecture, which is what would be required for a significant performance change/</p>