New Canon 2x Teleconverter

browncam

<p>I read on this forum a few months ago that Canon had made a new improved 2x teleconverter. Who has used this lens,and how did it perform? I use a 1.4x on my 300 F4 with good results. Not many recommended the old version of the 2x. I'm curious about the new one. </p>

<p>It's really designed for use on the new generation of IS telephoto lenses.</p>

<p>I seriously doubt it will be much better than either of the two existing Canon 2x TCs on a 300/4L. The first and second generation ones certainly aren't much different on that lens.</p>

<p>I have both the 300f4 and 2.8 lenses, and the new 2x by canon. My old 2x was a tamron so I can't compare the two teleconverters except the tamron was softer [expected] The tamron focused faster without the delays like the canons. The new 2x is sharper, but I can't say it's decidedly a better set up than a clean prime or worth $500. It all depends on what you shoot. For BIFs it hunts quite often on the f4, something my Tamron did not do. [too bad tamron can't come out with a sharper one, they'd own the market].<br>

The 300 2.8+2x does better at f5.6 over the <a href="mailto:f4lens@f8">f4lens @f8</a> and focuses fairly fast. But after shooting with the 500f4, I'd say the quality with the 2x is only livable when you absolutely need the length. It will be frustrating during BIFs, but other still work will be very good.<br>

I've tried the 2x on 3 lenses, and it seems to work well if it manages to bring a closer bird into focus. But birds smaller, at a good distance, they won't be as sharp. This is with the MKIII so focusing may be an issue.<br>

The 2x serves its purpose, but I don't use it alot. The 1.4x does a better job with the f4, and pic quality was better. But I shoot alot of BIFs, so my demands were higher than most.</p>

The old 2x is " ok " on the 300/4 IS, but have non-pro bodies it's MF only which is genrally the limiting factor.

On the 200/2.8 the 2x is fairly good optically but AF is super slow.

So much I think depends on the lens sharpness and focus accuracy with the 2x, if you have a pro body and the AF

speed remains acceptable then it can bea viable option.