New Camera Recommendation

dave_haskel

<p>Hi Guys,<br>

<br /> I have been working with a Canon AE-1 (non-program) for about a year now and it's really grown on me. Now that my skills have improved, I want to upgrade to a model with aperture priority mode and I was considering a few models, even swapping all of my FD gear for another brand, so long as there is a camera out there that suit my needs. Here is what I am looking for, maybe you can recommend a favorite model for me:</p>

<ol>

<li>Full frame (either film or digital)*</li>

<li>Compatible with <strong><em>cheaper</em></strong>, possibly older lenses (I am a fan of the second hand ;-)</li>

<li>Aperture priority mode</li>

<li>Clear and bright viewfinder</li>

<li>Preferably faster than 1/1000 shutter priority so I can get dramatic wide open shots when there is lots of light</li>

<li>The lighter and easier to handle the better</li>

</ol>

<p>*Film is definitely cheaper, but I prefer digital for convenience and speed. The most I would be willing to pay for a used digital body is about $1000 (the only one I was able to find is the Canon 5D for about that price (on ebay). If you could think of other full frame digital cameras to check out I definitely will.</p>

<p>Essentially, the only drawbacks to my current AE-1 is that there is no aperture priority mode, the fastest shutter is 1/1000, and it only works with film so there is slow turnaround time for pics. Digital would be a great solution but most cameras are incredibly expensive, and would no longer be compatible with my cheap, old FD lenses.<br /> I have tried the EOS Rebel G -- it's a fantastically light and capable camera but only takes more expensive EOS lenses. Adding an EOS-FD converter crops a noticeable portion of the screen. Also the viewfinder is very dim and small so it ends up straining my eyes.<br>

<br /> Let me know what comes to mind. Thanks for the input! (PS: this post might overlap with a similar one in the FD forum. The question is reposted here to get a better survey of the crowd from other forums :-)</p>

<p>Asking for shutter speeds faster than 1/1000 certainly trims down the field. The first cameras that came to mind fail on that count, though fine choices otherwise: the Canon A-1, Minolta XD-11, and Olympus OM-2N. The Nikon FE2 has 1/2000, if I recall correctly, though old Nikon lenses aren't as cheap today as some others.</p>

<p>Do you want both aperture priority and shutter-priority in the same body?<br>

What are your lens needs? Pentax K-mount can be a pretty good deal for manual focus especially if you stick to the older Pentax-M (or even older K-mount lenses labeled simply Pentax SMC) lenses--these lack the 'A' on the aperture ring so are limited to aperture priority or manual. Pentax has long specialized in more compact gear though, so lenses of more moderate specs are much more common. The more exotic glass can be more costly. Most film bodies with a few exceptions are pretty inexpensive now, so shopping the glass is probably more important.</p>

<p>The ME Super probably somewhat similar to your AE-1 but is aperture- rather than shutter-priority. It has a 1/2000 shutter and a big, bright viewfinder. SLRs don't really come any smaller. The Super Program is very slightly larger and adds Program AE and Shutter-priority AE when Pentax-A lenses are used. Handling was slightly improved on this model with the inclusion of a small finger grip. Shutter speeds faster than 1/2000 on Pentax bodies only appeared on autofocus SLRs.</p>

<p>You can also supplant K-mount lenses with adapted M42 screwmount equipment, using an inexpensive adapter. These will function as aperture-priority but you need to remember to stop the lens down to shooting aperture. These lenses will often not be much cheaper than their K-mount cousins though because so many people buy them up to adapt to other systems.</p>

<p>If your lens needs are relatively modest and you're willing to use larger equipment, Nikon might offer some advantages but generally speaking the lenses will cost more.</p>

<p>A Nikon FE2 uses older lenses, has aperture priority and an excellent finder and a 1/4000 shutter, and is pretty compact and light and not very expensive. The FA similar but also adds S and P modes in addition to A and M. And since you did post this in the modern film cameras board, no discussion would be complete without somebody saying F100 - that's bigger and heavier but has all the automation you could ask for and compatibility with manual focus lenses.</p>

<p>I second the Nikon FE2 - great camera in its own right, and covers pretty much all of your requirements. Also, if you invest in some Nikon lenses, these will be largely compatible with a Nikon dSLR if you end up going digital down the road. The only downside, as others have alluded to, is that, because Nikkor manual-focus lenses are so compatible with dSLRs, they are still in comparatively high demand, and therefore somewhat more expensive than MFs from other manufacturers (it's all relative, though - IMO, good MF lenses are an incredible bargain). Equip the FE2 with an AI/AI-s "mini lens kit", consisting of, say, a 24/2.8, a 50/1.8 and a 102/2.5, and you'll have world-class setup that will cover almost every photographic situation - and the lenses will <em><strong>still </strong></em>be great on a future Nikon dSLR.</p>

<p>If you want manual focus and aperture priority, and cheap lenses, consider any of the later MF Minoltas. You might need to shop around if you want higher shutter speeds and high flash sync, as Minolta shutters aren't always the highest-tech for their age, but the cameras themselves work very well. Even the lowly X-370 works well, has a dependable metering system, a good viewfinder, takes all MF lenses, and will take a motor drive, which can be found cheaply these days as well.</p>

<p>If you like Nikons, and if A and Manual are good enough, the F3 will handle old and new lenses of all sorts, everything but G lenses without a manual aperture ring. Great viewfinder, and one of the nicest manual cameras ever. Prices on these seem to have come down a little. The F3 is a bit backward with regard to flash capability, however, so if you are looking for fast sync speeds you won't find them here. If you look at the F3 by specs alone, it doesn't seem all that impressive, but it's awfully nice to use.</p>

<p>The Nikon F100 is great, and will accept and use all sorts of AF, G, and VR lenses that manual cameras either cannot use or can't fully utilize, but will not take unconverted pre-AI lenses, so you have to decide which end of the lens spectrum you wish to forsake. The F100 does everything, aperture, shutter, program, auto focus or not, selectable metering patterns, back curtain flash sync, etc. Ergonomically it's well designed, and nowadays an incredible bargain used. Easy to use when you want it simple, with lots of tricks when you need them.</p>

<p>There are all kinds of excellent recommendations in all of these responses. Since you already have FD lenses, you might want to stick with an FD body, and the best one (actually one of the best 35mm cameras <em>ever!</em>) is the T90. Do a little research on it and see if it meets your needs. It has every feature you could want (including a few you probably haven't even thought of) except AF. If you're looking for an AF camera or a digital body, that's another matter altogether, IMO.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>[The T90] has every feature you could want (including a few you probably haven't even thought of) except AF.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It also lacks MLU, but it would still be my recommendation unless you're planning on doing alot of macro work.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>While I am a big fan and frequent user of Contax cameras, the lenses have gotten really expensive lately. Based on your specs and current prices I would suggest the Olympus OM-4. They are small and the lenses are not terribly expensive. </p>

<p>I really don't like the viewfinders on Canon cameras. The t90 has something like x0.77 and 94% coverage, which is weak compared to a Conta.x 167mt or an Olympus OM4. The OM4 has 97% and a magnification of x0.84</p>

<p>Heresy here, but if you're seriously considering changing systems and going digital, now is the time to get that 5D. This gives you pretty much everything on your list, even down to compatibility with older lenses using glassless adapters that allow stop down metering and infinity focus with most mounts (FD being an unfortunate exception). If you're prepared to compromise on full frame, your choice becomes much wider.</p>

<p>Cosina Voigtlander Bessa R4A. Aperture priority, top speed 1/2000s, compatible with very old lenses. Extremely clear and bright viewfinder, more than 100% viewfinder coverage! Of course it's a rangefinder camera. It has become my favorite camera as I can use 21mm lens without an external viewfinder, very convenient for street photography. </p>

<p>I've had numerous FD bodies over the years. I got my first T-90 last year and it is jaw dropping. It is like no other body I have owned. Not only for the phenomenal construction (like a Lexus), but for it's near perfect ergonomics. If ever there was a "camera glove" - I think this is it. The hardest achievement in cameras is making the powerful set of options "easy to use." Most fail miserably with a blizzard of bizarre buttons and wheels (or hideous menu trees). The T-90 is none of that. It is simplicity bringing power under control. You won't regret it.</p>