New Camera Leather

teneson

<p>Usually as a preservation-mined person, I am for replacing the original with as close to the original as is possible, but there are some times that the red kid leather is too compelling to ignore. :) (<a href="../classic-cameras-forum/00NSzV">link to red Exakta</a>)</p>

<p>Some of the really fine leathers offered are a considerable temptation, in fact.</p>

<p>Thumbs up for Morgan Sparks at Cameraleather.com. My Yashica GSN had the griptac. It was pretty and <strong>very</strong> grippy but kind of hard feeling. Good for an everyday shooter especially if you have moist hands or shoot in the rain/snow. The Indian Red Kid leather on my buddy's M3 looked fantastic and is <em>very</em> supple with a wonderful feel but expensive. For a more economical covering for my Ftb I used a composite in Claret. I was surprised how nice it was. Not as sumptuous as the Kid, but a very nice feel with just the right amount of "give"and I just love the color. A picture of it is here:<br>

<a href="../canon-fd-camera-forum/00SdF0">http://www.photo.net/canon-fd-camera-forum/00SdF0</a><br /><br /></p>

<p>A couple of years ago I recovered a RF (not Leica) with a brown crocodile patterned leather, which Morgan didn't have a pattern for, and he worked with me to cut the pieces so that they would be an exact fit...which they were - an interesting exercise in measuring and shrinkage planning. A year or two later I sold the camera in an instant for about twice what I paid for it + the recovering. I then asked Morgan to recover an old 90/2.8 M Elmarit focusing sleeve for me which was literally cracking to pieces. He did an outstanding job, and today when people see me with the lens, they frequently ask how I managed to keep the leather in such wonderful condition for the last half century. IMHO it would be hard to go wrong, and you can always call him to discuss the right choice for your particular situation.</p>

<p>What color tie do you wear with your black shoes? Just kidding, the question seemed rather unanswerable. Personally I prefer black coverings on black cameras, but I've seen a lot of alternative colors which on the right camera were pretty neat looking. It depends on the statement you want to make.</p>

<p>For black cameras it depends on what I want from it. As a serious shooter, I would go for the "black" griptac. For a user which I sometimes ogle, it will be the black kidskin. For a user that I ogle a lot, then the dark brown kid. For a pure ogler... maybe the cobalt blue or the darker blue... or something outrageous like pink :)</p>

<p>I have Griptac in Black on my M2 and also on a couple of other cameras. I highly recommend this material.</p>

<p>Camera leather gave me quick service and I am considering doing an OM-1 in this material.</p>

<p>Leo</p>

<p> </p>

<p>FWIW, I alse recommend Aki Asahi in Japan, who sent me replacement "vulcanite" for my IIIa - easy to apply and great looking. And I paid around 20 USD including shipping from Japan to Europe. Very nice. Except that his website says that his services are temporarily unavailable, I just noticed... <a href="http://www.aki-asahi.com/store/"><br /><br />http://www.aki-asahi.com/store/</a><br /><br />Hope this helps anyway...<br /><br />Soeren</p>

<p> </p><div>00XFim-278705584.jpg.02aeb8bf38ab9d76974441bb5b54a5df.jpg</div>