New A-1 owner

rogerwb

<p>As if I didn't have enough cameras already, I picked up an A-1 today for peanuts. I think I have almost everything figured out but the mirror seems to be lifting slowly, accompanied by mych whirring of clockwork.<br>

Is this a dampening feature for slow speeds<br>

on a tripod or is there a problem with the camera ?</p>

<p>Sounds like the camera needs service, Roger. The mirror governor tends to need regular lubrication and can act sluggishly without. The camera will work, often with a "Squeal" sound, just fine till one day the mirror stops moving altogether. </p>

<p>"lubrication" can be done at home, but this is probably the single quickest way to destroy a camera unless proper oils and technique are used. If this camera has already been "lubed" there's a good reason for a 'bargain' price.<br /> <strong><em>Never</em></strong> use anything like WD-40 or 3-in-1 oils.</p>

<p>Do a lot reading up on the subject on line before you try anything. Start with Google™ searches for "Canon squeal" or "squeek" - some kits are even sold (even on eBay) for home use, but I have not tried them personally. There are also others who offer to do this for you, but again, I have no personal experience with any of these.</p>

<p>There are even some YouTube tutorials on this. I sometimes wonder, but am afraid to search for, what else might be demo'ed on YouTube. ;)</p>

<p>I've had an A-1 for about 23 years. It got the squeak problem about 15 years ago and I had it serviced (back when there was camera repair places down the street) and it's been fine since. I think (as do many here) the FD cameras are the most under valued cameras out there mainly because the high quality of the cameras and the fact that the lenses can't be used easily on digital bodies. Just means more of them for me!</p>

<p>Stay away from the Ebay squeak repair kit. They send you a syringe with a short needle and a small baggie with a few drops of clock (watch) oil. Getting the lens mount screw out to access the dried-out mechanism is an exercise in futility. Send the camera in to Ken Oikawa (do a search for him) or your local camera repair shop, assuming one exists. They'll replace the deteriorated light seals, they'll re-calibrate your meter (which will need to be done on an old A1 since the plastic cover over the meter lens will have become opaque by now and will need to be removed or replaced). With a good CLA, you'll get 20-30 more years out of the camera.</p>

<p>I have two AE-1 Programs I purchased through E bay and at a local flea market. Both in great condition but due to their age (about 30 years old) I had them both Cleaned, Lubed and Adjusted. New mirror and door foam too. These cameras will probably outlive me but I'll rest easy knowing they will work well with the (cheap and affordable) FD Canon glass I have found on line. Accessories for these cameras are available too if you look for them. Found a nice C and D focusing screen that can be changed easy by the user. Angle finder is nice and just found a 100mm FD Macro, for a little over 80 bucks. Fun to do macro work for. So point is spend a little for a good cleaning for your A body and have fun. It's a good investment. I also have A-1 bodies too. Quite sexy in all black.</p>

<p>@Steve Snyder: so true about the A bodies. I have two A-1 bodies as well as two AE-1 Program bodies and use them all quite a lot. The squeal is caused by a lubricant on the mirror assembly that tries out in time (about 10 years). I know some folks can lube their own but for those like me, I leave it to the camera technicians. I have two in my area that are well versed in digital camera cleaning and manual camera re-furbishing. I had the two AE-1 Ps CLA'd recently and consider it a worthwhile investment.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Definitely agree on getting a CLA instead of doing it yourself. Unless the camera states it just had a CLA in the selling description, always assume you'll have to get this done on a Canon A-body, until you get it in your hands and it tells you otherwise.</p>

<p>It's not just a squeak/squeal, there can be other problems as well that build up and can present with some bad symptoms. Once fixed, though, you only have to worry about cosmetic stuff. I've had a Canon AE-1P for 16 years and only had to CLA it once about halfway through that. The battery door broke (I fixed that), the faux leather is all peeling off (I'm fixing that), but it still takes awesome pictures and works like a charm. As long as we can find batteries for them (and film -- that may be a problem eventually) this gem from the '80s will outlive me!</p>