deniz_merdan

Hi,

I decided to invest in a new 8x10 camera as of tonight. I've been

using a 1890 ROC Carlton for a while and the non standard back and

the pinhole filled bellows has been pissing me off a little, not to

mention very limited movements. I have decided that i will be

spending $1300 or so on this camera so my options are

1)A used good condition Deardorff 2)Brand new Tachihara double

extension 3)shen-hao (haven't seen the 8x10 version being sold in N.

America)

I really want a nice camera this time. Something that wont piss me

off with problems

What is your opinion on this?

All are good choices. In terms of used I would STRONGLY recommend you do not buy

'sight unseen'. I wanted to go back to 8x10 and in the past 18 months I've tried to buy

three used 'dorffs' and a used 'kmv' over the net - all had 'glowing descriptions' but all

turned out to be 'dogs' with problems - luckily everyone refunded my money

but I lost several hundred

dollars in return shipping charges and exchange rates (I'm in Canada). I considered the

Shen Hao but it was out of my budget ($1200-$1400USD). As I never use really long

lenses (ie. 24") the double extension Tach seemed the most reasonable choice. I know it's

not had glowing user reviews so I did not have high expectations. As long as it did the job

I would be happy. Keep in mind I've owned some fine 8x10s in the past - Wisner,

Canham, Gandolfi, etc - and I can tell you the Tach is no 'dog'. Fit and finish is on par if

not better than the Wisner, some of the metal work looks to be 'cast' and is not as smooth

and finely machined as the Canham. However it is easily as rigid as any of the makes, has

a great gg/fresnel and looks pretty to boot.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Roger...

I have a brand new Tach double extension as one of my 8x10s. I can say that this camera is finely made with excellent finishes on everything, very sturdy and easy to use. I like the ability to independently move back using left and right controls because you can really focus the corners conveniently this way. I have gotten great results with this camera, so don't let the price fool you. Dogging this camera is the only way to justify the ridiculuous prices for similar and maybe marginally better equipment. I also have a Toyo MII 8x10 which I also like but very expensive as you know. I only have this one because I use a 600mm lens. Up to 450mm the Tachi is sweet and light with pricing that allows the simple man to enjoy 8x10!

Deniz:

I also have the Tachihara 8x10 but with a single extension. I use it solely for nature photography and have absolutely no complaints. Great camera, light-weight, and inexpensive. I've had the same camera for about 7 years now. It has all the movements you'll ever need if you're shooting nature scenes. I also agree that you should buy new since they are relatively inexpensive compared to the "name brand" models which IMO are way overpriced for a light-tight box. Check out my website and you'll see some images this camera has taken. Good luck.

http://www.naturesfinestimages.com

You're definitely rolling the dice with a Deardorff on e bay. I've bought two that way but I've spent a little more than you're planning. One was fine, the other required $350 of repairs to reduce some looseness in the front and back standards and it still isn't really the way I'd like it or the way the seller described it. Prices of Deardorffs on e bay, especially ones that look from the photos to be in pristine condition, seem to have been on the high side lately so I'm not sure what you'd get for $1,300.

I've seen, but never owned, a Tachihara double extension. It was a very nice camera, solid, beautiful fit and finish, smooth movements, etc.However, I was surprised at its weight, it felt a lot heavier than I was expecting but that my have just been because the 4x5 Tachihara is so light. I don't know what it actually weighs, it may be in the 12 lb range of a Deardorff, it just seemed heavuer.

If you can live with the relatively short bellows of the double extension Tachihara, and if the weight doesn't put you off, I'd opt for the Tachihara. If you could go up in price the Wehman would be worth considering. The normal price is about $1,800 but that camera, while not well known, has gotten excellent reviews and IIRC it has a 30 inch or longer bellows. A few months ago he had a demo for sale for $1,400. It's probably gone by now but it might be worth asking.