New 7D firmware 1.2.2, no AGC off or manual audio yet...

paul_russell1

<p>Most likely won't happen on 7D: it might be a "feature difference" with the 5D2/1D4 cameras (and the 1Ds3 successor should it sport video.) <br>

For the sake of all 7D video users I hope I'm wrong...</p>

<p>Hi Puppy face, I am that serious, just used to using Sony HDCAM 790's not always with a seperate sound recordist pumping his sound from an SQN into my cam. <br>

Mics used are 413's 813's, K6's Evolution 110 wireless, ECM-77s etc, serious enough for you?<br>

Currently using the 7D with a beachtek, which does a decent job of tricking the cameras agc. Would prefer to eliminate the AGC altogether, if you shoot as much video as I do then you don't really want the hassle of toning and sycnhing each audio take on a seperate device. If you were that serious about it you would know this.<br>

Stick to what you know about.</p>

<p>Puppy face has a lot of experience and a lot of information on lots of things, this is great when you ask for it, I didn't.<br>

It can be a little smart or even patronising when it is flung in there.<br>

And in practice, for ease of filing, ease of editing etc the best way to record audio without a full crew is to do it on the audio device. No missed records, no bogging yourself down with 2 sets of logs etc. So not only patronising, irrelevant, but also wrong.<br>

If I required any advice on audio recording for video (I don't) I wouldn't ask a camera enthusiast or on a camera forum.<br>

That, my friends, is all.</p>

<p>Paul: 7D is not a great sound recorder but if this is if any consolation to ya, despite improvements and "creature comfort" features, the 1D4 in-camera sound track ain't perfect and often sports some weird artifacts that are really hard and time consuming to clean up in post (and that's with a good off-camera mic, suchas Rode NTG-3) so I've been using the in-camera track only for reference (often with Rode Video Mic) and run an external rig (Marantz PMD 661 either naked or with Grace Lunatec V3 mic preamp/ADC and a variety of microphones.) Works great and, once you get your workflow right, it is actually less time consuming than fighting the internal sound track. Of course you need two people (or just grow two extra hands) but beats the in-camera recording for anything more "high end" than simple ENG.</p>

<p>I was HD shooting video of Joan Jett & the Blackhearts outdoor concert last month with my 7D.</p>

<p>I was rather amazed at how "good" the sound quality was with the built-in mic. The lens I used was the 85 1.8.</p><div>00WvXx-262791584.jpg.c67ed06f5550f824d2420fb98a68aec5.jpg</div>