New 1000D or Used 20D?

tom_collins3

<p>I have the opportunity to pickup a used (owned by a professional photographer) Canon 20D (body only) for $425 or I can get a brand new Canon Rebel XS (1000D) with IS Kit lens for around $525. I am brand new to DSLR photography. Which one should I choose?</p>

<p>Hmm, pro photogs tend to sell after the useful life of the gear has passed. Five years of use by a pro equals a worn out camera. I'd buy the new 1000D. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I own a 20D which I bought used from a pro and it was his back-up. Had less than 3000 clicks on it. It's a much more substantial body than any of the Rebels. If the one you're considering is in good shape, it's a much better camera IMO. Also, buy the best lens you can afford for durablility and IQ sake. My $.02</p>

<p>I would recommend that you buy the XS over the 20D (even one that was totally unused). There have just been too many advances over the last few years to further consider the 20D, at least at that price. Among other things, the 20D lacks: live view, auto ISO, auto lighting optimizer, sensor dust removal, 10 MP resolution, Picture Styles, spot metering, ISO in viewfinder, etc. Some folks will say that they don't want or need the "candified" features of some of the newer DSLRs, and the 20D probably will probably serve you better for the sports shooting because of the faster shooting speed, but I believe that someone new to DSLR will probably find the XS easier to use. Plus you get a kit lens that pretty decent. With the 20D, you would have to pay more to get a lens. You should probably try both cameras, as the size/weight difference is not insignificant.</p>

<p>The Rebel is a great camera for someone new to DSLR. If you get the used 20D you will need to buy a lens too, so you will end up spending at least as much as would would have for the new Rebel but you will have a camera that has been well used and is older technology. </p>

<p>The 20D is already FIVE YEARS old with a tiny LCD on the back. But - compared to a Reb 1000, I bet it blows it away. ;-)</p>

<p>Get a new or barely used 40D instead for around $900? Or a used 30D kit (better LCD) for $500?</p>

<p>Holding 1000D body without a grip attached, for me it seems too small, very hard to hold the camera still in some situations (ex: Low light...), if plus a Canon grip around 130$, I don't think it a good deal.<br>

I'm using a used 20D, and really love it. But if you're serious on photography or you have more than your budget, pls go with the 30D so you can use it for at least 2 years more instead of changing the Camera body. The 20D or 30D itself big enough to use without have to buy a grip, and it's built quality quite better than 1000D (Metal vs Plastic)<br>

I bet you'll change the camera body in a few months later if you buy the 1000D. Lot of my friends purchased the 1000D, then them all changed to xxD Camera series.</p>

Last year I upgraded to a 450D from my four year old 20D. Best decision I've made; initially was going to upgrade to a

40D.

Better image quality (it's outstanding); and image files don't need near the level of post-processing as my 20D.

Smaller, lighter, and more ergonomic - especially shooting one-handed. And much bigger rear LCD that you can actually

read. FAR better for setting parameters than the top LCD on my 20D.

I could go on, but those are the big plusses...

www.citysnaps.net

<p>I own a 20D. I agree with Yakim, "<em>XXD is a much better camera WRT ergonomics than any XXXD or XXXXD.</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

The point is, they two are very different camera series - ergonomically, and much of that comes down to personal taste. I think you should take the time to hold and test each camera, look through the menus and functions of each model line (XXD vs XXXD/XXXXD) and determine what suits you.<br>

<br>

On the specific question: My 20D is used "professionally"; I would buy <em><strong>my</strong></em> 20D with confidence because I know its history, actuations etc. But if I were in your shoes with only those two choices, I would buy the new 1000D with the IS kit lens rather than a professionally used 20D with no lens – except if the 20D was very, very cheap (say US$100) and I could test drive it for about 15 minutes with <strong ><em >my</em></strong> lenses.<br>

<br>

The other thing is – if you buy the 20D you then also have to buy a lens to use it – that seems far too complicated for a beginner. (well - you might not be a beginner to Photography, just a beginner to digital - but I am just assuming you are a “beginner” and have no EF lenses to use, etc, no offense is intended by the assumption). <br>

<br />WW <em> </em><br>

</p>

<p > </p>

<p>Thanks Everyone. Yes I am a beginner to REAL photography (DSLR) and actually my opportunity to pickup the 20D has now passed. From my research it WAS too high of an asking price anyways. Saving up for the Rebel XS Kit with IS lens starting......NOW.</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

depends how you use it - new 1000d is way better for light amateur use, 20d is much better professional body. As you will understand soon the quality of your pictures depends on:<br>

1. You<br>

2. The lens<br>

3. The body<br>

for landscape and depth of field related photography. I can buy almost new 20D body from ebay for around 150 dollars. So my advice is buy used 20d and invest in good lenses. You will use the lenses with your next body too :-)<br>

Note that is from a guy who thinks the 20d is better then 5D ;-)<br>

The reasons are here:<br>

<a href="http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/DepthOfField/shorter-focal-length-advantage.html">http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/DepthOfField/shorter-focal-length-advantage.html</a><br>

<a href="http://www.naturfotograf.com/D2X_rev06.html#top_page">http://www.naturfotograf.com/D2X_rev06.html#top_page</a><br>

<a href="http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/full-frame/review.html">http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/full-frame/review.html</a></p>

>>> I own a 20D. I agree with Yakim, "XXD is a much better camera WRT ergonomics than any XXXD or XXXXD.<P>

In front of me I have a 20D and a 450D. There's no comparison, after having 10s of thousands of pix on both, and owning the 20D for 5 years and the 450D for one. When I go

out and shoot an event today, it will be with the 450D.<P>

Much better ergonomics, lighter weight, smaller size. When shooting all day, one-handed, the difference is big. And

compared to the 20D, the 450D's huge rear LCD makes parameter set-up so easy compared to the tiny top mounted display on the

20D. Even the tiny rear LCD on the 20D for menu setup is awful (compared to the 450D).<P>

Much better IQ, 50% more resolution, etc, make the rebel a superior choice. But then, that's just my opinion form currently

owning both, with lots of photos from each. Some recent 450D photos <a href= "http://www.citysnaps.net/blog/">here</a>,

with a few LX3 pix mixed in...<P>

The 20D was a fine choice - 5 years ago...

www.citysnaps.net

<p><strong><em>"In front of me I have a 20D and a 450D. There's no comparison . . ."</em></strong> etc<br>

<br>

Brad, I have in front of me a 400D and my 20D and I have also taken 10 of 1000's of pics . . . <br>

<br>

I agree with you 100% . . . just read the very next sentence after the one you chose to quote: <strong><em> </em></strong><br>

"The point is, they two are <strong><em>very different camera series</em></strong> - <strong ><em >ergonomically,</em></strong> and much of that comes down to<strong><em> personal taste"</em></strong><br>

<br>

In regards to IQ of the 20D etc, I was not commenting on that. Moreover, I was NOT commenting on the 20D being a superior camera, generally or in any other respect. <br>

<br>

The quote is about the <em><strong>XXD series</strong></em> compared to the <em><strong>XXXD and XXXXD series</strong></em>: my owning a 20D is just one example of that <strong ><em >XXD series</em></strong>. . . so let's not confuse the issue by quoting my commentary out of context and then making extrapolations.<br>

<br>

Further, you will note I suggested to the OP he buy the 1000D given only a choice between those two cameras, especially considering the likely usage (and implied age) of the 20D . . .<br>

<em >”</em><em >But if I were in your shoes with only those two choices, I <strong >would buy the new 1000D with the IS kit lens rather than a professionally used 20D with no lens </strong>– except if the 20D was very, very cheap (say US$100) and I could test drive it for about 15 minutes with </em><em><strong>my</strong></em><em > lenses.</em> <br>

<em >The other thing is <strong >– if you buy the 20D you then also have to buy a lens to use it –</strong> that seems far too complicated for a beginner. (well - you might not be a beginner to Photography, just a beginner to digital - but I am just assuming you are a “beginner” and have no EF lenses to use, etc, no offense is intended by the assumption).</em><em ></em><br>

<br>

***<br>

<br>

In regards to ergonomics and one's preference - <strong ><em >if it is that you wish to discuss</em></strong>: <br>

<br>

I have a battery pack on my 20D and also 5D, to make them bigger, and more stable which suits my hands, and technique, and yes I usually carry and use both cameras, and do use them one handed, sometimes, shoot from the hip, and overhead, and for long hours . . . but a larger camera is my preference. <br>

<br>

I also like the layout and dials the XXD series have and I don't like the layout of the XXXD series . . . but that does not mean you should not like it the other way around or that you should not like a smaller and lighter camera.<br>

<br>

*** <br>

<em><strong> </strong></em><br>

<em><strong>"The 20D was a fine choice - 5 years ago..."</strong></em><br>

Yes agreed it seems we both made that purchasing decision around the same time. And my 20D still takes good pictures today, but I was not commenting on that, nor did I suggest the OP make a used 20D his purchase choice, did I? <br>

<br>

If you are gong to take aim and fire, then please shoot the whole scene, in its entirety - do not just pick a portion of it, then manipulate it to argue against what was never stated or implied. Thanks :) <br>

<br>

<br>

WW<br>

<br>

<br>

</p>

<p > </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Much better ergonomics, lighter weight, smaller size. When shooting all day, one-handed, the difference is big.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>

<p dir="ltr">About "Much better ergonomics", well it's very personal and MMV. However, the "one-handed" comment seems to signify the biggest difference between us. I never shoot one-handed, nor do I wish to do so.</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">Happy shooting,</p>

<p dir="ltr">Yakim.</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

</p>