Neusiedlersee - AT

marco_p1

Hello, I will be there for a week around mid June, for the first

time, and I am looking for advice. I would be very happy to

photograph Bee-eaters (merops apiaster), but as a Birdwatcher the

area seems wonderful for a lot o species.

Thank you, Marco

Hi Marco!

It is really a beautiful land, I love it! I was there in 2004 and in 2005, always in may. It is a beautiful wild prairie landscape, full of rare birds. The most perfect is the Seewinkel area around Lange Lacke. There is a lot of rare birds living in the salty wetlands (like recurvirostra avosetta for example). I use the camp in Podersdorf and then going by bike. Austria is the best in the world with its net of bycicle paths - it is pretty apparent there.

Be careful because austrians are very sensitive to adherence to rules. There are many tables prohibiting to leave marked paths. They protect the land very carefully, which is very good.

Unfortunatelly I don't know about bee-eaters, I haven't heared about them being there. But this land is definitely worth visiting!

BTW, where are you from? I'm just from the neighbouring country, Czech Republic, so I took train to Bratislava, taking my bike with me. Perfect trip.

Good luck!

Tomas

Thank you Tomas,

I am from Italy and I will get to the area with my family.

I had thought of bringing our bykes, now I am convinced.

I am very curious about your country, It will probably be one of our next destinations. We have come close visiting the BayerischerWald Park in Germany, maybe next time we will cross the border.

Thank you again. Marco

Hi Marco!

The Neesiedlersee is a beautiful area, for photographers and for birdwathers too. It's not easy to photograph the bee-eaters.

I hope, you will bring your hide and the 500 mm lens with you.

To find a sandpit where the bee-eaters breed and which is not a private area is not easy.

The other solution is: you have to try to agree with the owner..

To get information about breeding places is not easy, the

birdwatchers are careful to give out this information, if at all.

(look at www.bird.at, go to the forum, look for my entry about the Bienenfresser and read the answers.)

The bee-eaters are very sensible for disturbance, in mid June they will perhaps already feed the squabs, but this is not sure,

because they are late this year, they arrived in some places

only, not everywhere in Burgendland and Lower-Austria in AT, where

they breed.

Did you asked for this topic only the photo.net?

Did you do photograph the bee-eater earlier, do you have some

experience about this?

I don't want to write needless, that's why the question.

So much for that.

Karoly

(Linz/AT)

Thank you Karoly,

I have my hide and 300/4 + converters, I shoot Nikon digital so it would be similar to having 500/4 on slide. This would be my first time with bee-eaters, as they do not breed here near where I live, althought I do have some experience with different birds. I am worried for the disturbance issue, so I was hoping to find a place with a fixed hide in some sort of protected area, I do not think I would dare to set up my hide near the nests, too much risk for my liking. Thank you again, Marco

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Marco!

I was mistaken, sorry! I know where bee-eaters are! I said no because I confused bee-eaters with honey buzzard, because in czech language "bee-eater" literaly translated is honey buzzard ;-). I actually know where bee-eaters nest! In the last year I discovered one their colony to the north-east from Neusiedlersee, out of the protected land, seemingly without problems with any laws/people.

I can send you more detailed description of the place to your e-mail if you wish!

I made some photos there, there was one quite good picture, but as I just came with lens and tripod, took some photos (1 roll) and got out, I didn't get close enough to them. They just could see me.

Regarding visiting Czech, I would be glad that you see our beautiful country. I would give you tips where to go if you love nature.

BTW, there is a perfect photo of the week - also bee-eater! I think this photo pretty much raised the demands on photos like this! ;-)

Have a nice vacation in that beautiful area,

Tomas