Neopan 1600 - Filters?

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by johncarvill, May 14, 2010.

1. Hi folks
    I'm going to try a roll of Fuji Neopan 1600 in my F3 tomorrow. Since it is a pretty contrasty film, I wa wondering, would you still advise the use of a yellow or red filter?
    Cheers
    JC

2. What are you shooting and just how much contrast are you looking for?

3. Filters (other than polarizing) don't increase contrast. They just make certain colors some out darker. A yellow filter should be viewed as a "minus blue" filter, so it makes blue and violet things darker. Thus it darkens the sky, and makes clouds more dramatic.
    If it's a cloudy day, or you have a reason to make skies darker, use the yellow filter. Otherwise, enjoy the full speed of your fast film, and use no filter.

4. Ok, I am looking for quite a bit of contrast, but the real purpose is to test the film so I have some knowledge of it before I run through a few rolls of it in New York later this month. What am I shooting? Actually, I'm taking part in one of Manchester (UK) Modernist Society's series of walks tomorrow:
    http://www.manchestermodernistsociety.org/commission.html
    This walk traces the route between Manchester's four remaining old-style red telephone boxes. The predicted weather is good (by our standards) and I'll try to do some general semi-street photography as we go round the city centre.
    Ok, no need for filtrs, I guess. I'm inexperienced in B&W photography, and was under the impression that *at least* a yellow filter was needed for shootong B&W outdoors. BUt yeah, of course, a red filter loses you a stop or two doesn't it, so will be good to ditch it and, as you say, enjoy the high speed of the film.

5. If you are looking to darken the sky I'd say yeah take a yellow or orange. If you just want more contrast why not do that in the printing or scanning stage?

6. You can control contrast by varying development time.

7. I shot it with no filters. Exposed at ISO 1000. Developed in D-76 replenished for about 3 minutes, agitating every 30 seconds for 5 seconds. Negs came out great and very printable.

8. It's my favorite 'high speed' film. I usually rate it at 640 when I want to retain good shadow detail.