Neopan 1600 - Filters?

<p>Filters (other than polarizing) don't increase contrast. They just make certain colors some out darker. A yellow filter should be viewed as a "minus blue" filter, so it makes blue and violet things darker. Thus it darkens the sky, and makes clouds more dramatic.<br>

If it's a cloudy day, or you have a reason to make skies darker, use the yellow filter. Otherwise, enjoy the full speed of your fast film, and use no filter.</p>

<p>Ok, I am looking for quite a bit of contrast, but the real purpose is to test the film so I have some knowledge of it before I run through a few rolls of it in New York later this month. What am I shooting? Actually, I'm taking part in one of Manchester (UK) Modernist Society's series of walks tomorrow:</p>

<p>http://www.manchestermodernistsociety.org/commission.html</p>

<p>This walk traces the route between Manchester's four remaining old-style red telephone boxes. The predicted weather is good (by our standards) and I'll try to do some general semi-street photography as we go round the city centre.</p>

<p>Ok, no need for filtrs, I guess. I'm inexperienced in B&W photography, and was under the impression that *at least* a yellow filter was needed for shootong B&W outdoors. BUt yeah, of course, a red filter loses you a stop or two doesn't it, so will be good to ditch it and, as you say, enjoy the high speed of the film.</p>