Negatives Coming Out Blank?

(REPOST) I developed a roll of negatives for the first time today. I've had the roll and the chemicals for a few months, but hadn't gotten around to developing until now. I followed the instructions very closely, and I'm positive I did everything in order, but when I pulled the film out after pouring out the stabilizer, it was clear and blank with one black strip at the top. What did I do wrong? I'd like to try it again within the next few days, but don't want to waste another roll if there's something wrong with my (brand new) chemicals.

Could an accidental drop of developer in the blix ruining everything (or vice versa)?

- I used the Unicolor Powder C-41 Film Processing Kit and Fujifilm 400 speed 35mm film.

Too few photons reached the film.

possible of many possible explanations:

1. film not exposed, perhaps loaded incorrectly
  2. developer accidentally skipped, or fixer before developer.

Those are just the most obvious causes, but there are many more. Next time actually use a checklist as you go and make sure the chemicals are clearly and correctly labelled.

Developer will kill Blix; Blix will kill developer. I do not know how much of one is needed to kill the other but Blix in the developer is far more critical than developer in the Blix.

What camera are you using? Operate the camera with the back open on a slow shutter speed and verify the shutter is operating. Starting with the F4 Nikon says not to operate the shutter with the back open to prevent damage to the shutter. If your camera has such a warning put a piece of white paper the same thickness over the image plane, close the back, shine a bright light into the lens and operate the camera on slow shutter speeds. If you see white, even a quick flash, the shutter is working, if not the shutter is not opening and the camera needs servicing.

If you had a black strip at the top that is the tongue that was exposed to the light before the film was loaded. <BR> The developer worked fine on that so it should not be a problem with the developer. <BR> If the frame numbers are there also it is further proof that there is not a problem with the developer.<BR> It sounds to me like the film was never exposed, either a shutter problem or improper loading.
James G. Dainis