Need to replace 50mm lens

Mike_R1664876643

<p>Yesterday while out shooting some landscapes I managed to drop my 50mm 1.8D lens. While changing lenses, it slipped out of my hands and rolled down a steep stream embankment where I couldn't get to it. Being just a $100 lens, I figured a broken leg, ankle, or copperhead bite would cost me a lot more than that so I gave up trying to retrieve it. I'm just glad it was my cheapest lens.<br>

But now I need to replace it. All I have are the 16-35VR, 35mm 2.0D, and 80-200mm 2.8D, so I need either a new replacement 50mm lens or a mid-range zoom. If I go the 50mm route, would I be better off with the new G version instead? Or would a mid-range zoom be a better option? Since buying the D810 I've made due with just the 50mm for mid-range, but while the lens was very sharp stopped down I have to admit it's kind of a pain switching lenses so often. When I want something longer, I have to switch over to the heavy 80-200D, and of course only have the 50mm in the 35-80mm range. I've seen some good prices lately on refurbished and used 24-120VR lenses, so am wondering whether I would be better off going that route versus another prime. <br>

Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.</p>

<p>I'm a film guy, and not all that experienced. But I start every camera setup with a normal (50mm in 135 format) fast (f/1.8 to 1.4) prime. That's a center of gravity from which I can then expand my lens selection to wide, telephoto, or zoom (for those who do that.)</p>

<p>I love glass. I love prime glass. I'd run out and get a nice used 1.8 prime from KEH, or new from Adorama, etc.</p>

<p>The best way to get the 24-120mm/f4 AF-S VR is to get it as a kit lens with the D810 or D750. Unfortunately, the OP already has the D810.</p>

<p>However, that zoom cannot totally replace a fast 50mm if you need to use it around f2 or f2.8. If you get a 50mm again, I would get the 50mm/f1.8 AF-S G lens, provided that you don't use any old body that is not G compatible.</p>

<p>P.S. While I hate to leave trash (damaged lens) behind, it was a good call not to risk injury to retrieve it.</p>

<p>50mm f/1.8G is much nicer than the old 1.8D in every single way; a bit a no-brainer for the price. I really like my 24-120 f/4VR, but it is priced a bit high. Maybe a nice refurbished one hits the right price-spot, still money-wise it will not come close to the 50mm, and it doesn't do f/2 quite as well ;-)<br>

Of course if budget is ample, and you hardly ever use the prime at wide apertures, the 24-120 could make a lot of sense too. It really depends on your needs.</p>

<p>Yet another option would be a third party lens like the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC DI. You would get a faster lens at a slightly lower price than the 24-120 Nikon. However, it is much larger and heavier, as well as more expensive, than your 50mm lens</p>

<p>I would get a 24-70 2.8. That, couples with your 80-200 and 16-35 will cover 90 percent of what most people shoot. While a fast 50 is nice, if you are shooting landscapes you don't need faster than 2.8 anyhow. <br /><br />I've come up with a new saying: Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but lenses. :)</p>

<p>Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. For now I think I'll go ahead and replace it with the 50 1.8G, and then later if I can find a good used or refurbished one for a good price I may pick up a 24-120. I wish I had bought the D810 kit for only $700 more, but didn't. </p>

<p>I just got my new 50 1.8G and am very impressed with it. It's exceptionally sharp across the frame. I think this lens, with my wide-angle and tele zoom will serve me much better than a general mid-range zoom for my type of photography. And the money saved is nice too. Eventually I may replace my 80-200 2.8 with the 70-200 f4, but am in no hurry to do that.</p>

• 3 weeks later...