Need to get my D200s sensor cleaned...HELP

astra

<p>Hi,<br>

So I have a D200 which I bought this past year around June and I've noticed that there are some specks on pictures I've taken and I think that my sensor needs some cleaning. This is my first digital SLR and I feel a bit a new to all of this. When I called in to a camera repair shop today the person on the phone quoted me a price of $75 just for a cleaning. Is this normal? </p>

<p>I'd attempt to clean the sensor myself but I'm afraid that one wrong move and I'd scratch it or something and I just don't feel so confident in my ability to properly and safely clean the thing. Any suggestions? </p>

<p>I currently reside in the Houston area (Texas) so if you guys could even recommend a good place I could go, that would be wonderful. I'm new to the area after having moved from Los Angeles. :)</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Francesca</p>

<p>Francesca, before you turn your D200 over to someone to swab the sensor, you might try simply blowing the sensor off to get rid of some of the dust and particles. You just might find that that could do the trick.<br>

Use a Rocket or any bulb blower. Do not use canned air of any kind.</p>

<p>It is not a big deal to clean the sensor. Buy a Giotto Rocket Blower and a SensorKlear pen. Put the camera in sensor clean mode, and blow off as much loose dust as you can, being careful not to touch the sensor with the tip of the blower but being forceful with the blowing. Then check for dust. If there's still dust, then clean it with the SensorKlear pen, following the directions on the manufacturer's site, and blow off the sensor a couple of times to remove any carbon compound that might have been deposited by the pen. Probably that's all you need. If there's still stuck dust, you may need a wet cleaning. This, too, is not difficult, but if you are squeamish you might want to get it cleaned professionally once, and then use the blower and the pen from then on.</p>

<p>Here in Dallas my friend charges about what you were told for him to clean it for you, but has a much lower cost for a one time training of how you can do it yourself under his watchful eye. Then once you do it in training you feel better in the future doing it yourself. You might ask the camera repair shop if they provide the same one time training. I was in his shop yesterday and he was returning a D200 to a customer that tried on his own with out any instruction the first time and messed some internal stuff up in the process and ws paying a 400.00 repair bill. Be careful if it's just not your bag to clean your own. </p>

• 4 weeks later...