Need suggestion for travel light stand

booray

<p>I need a light stand for wedding work that will go at least eight feet high and fold to 20 inches or less. needs to be stable with a speedlight and umbrella indoors (nothing is stable outdoors without weight or an assist.)<br>

I've seen a few online but I would really like someone with actual usage to give me some thoughts. My current tripod is just too long when collapsed to be convenient but I'm concerned that the compact light stands will just be too flimsy.</p>

<p>Manfrotto 001 (aka nano) is about as small as they come (folds to 19") but I wouldn't exactly call it stable and it only goes to 6.2 ft. I doubt you can find anything that suits your description. If there is such a stand it would have at least 6 sections (the 001 has 5).</p>

<p>I agree with Pete. I use the Nanos, and it does fine with a speedlight and umbrella--mine are the compact double folding ones that are 42" (approx) in diameter. When I have the umbrellas on, I spread the legs out almost completely, and in any case, I often weight the stand with a sandbag or my shoulder bag. There is also usually a battery pack hanging from the stand.</p>

<p>I do have a stand extension (look on B&H), but I wouldn't use the extension with an umbrella--just a single speedlite.</p>

<p>The only time I use large umbrellas, like my 60" PLM, I lug the heavy duty stand around too. That is usually only for church formals.</p>