Need software recommendations

paul_woodfin

<p>I'm a member of a non-profit which has a collection of photos (3000 currently but will be growing) which have previously been sold in the form of a book, but we want to move to an annual subscription service for fee which would give subscribers access to the photos and related information. Would want to be able to categorize and label each photo, but also have searchable tags for each item including manufacturer, subject, descriptive words, etc. If the subscriber could build their own gallery of photos it would be great. I'm looking for a web software that has such feature, and am hoping someone will know of one. Otherwise we may have to find someone to develop custom from what I've read here.</p>

<p>You're probably in for some custom dev work no matter how you slice it, even if it's just to put a little polish on the user interface's look and feel. But what you're looking for is a CMS (content management system) that has granular control over user rights and roles. If I were going to launch something like that, I'd probably use Drupal - it has a huge library of modules to extend its behavior, and once you get past the initial learning curve (or simply pay someone for a few hours of consulting/dev time to get the basic framework in place), you'll have lots of flexibility to handle both admin-curated and user-provided content and collections. </p>