Need shutter help for Zeiss Jena Tessar 8cm 3.5

PolaroidCollector

Hey everyone!

Recently got a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 8cm 3.5 lens (front and rear elements only) and would like to adapt this to use on a 4x5 camera. I have been trying to get into large format and finally acquired a Anny Speed Graphic camera. Since this is all new to me I’m not sure how to go about picking a shutter for this lens. The front thread is about 34mm and the rear is 29.5. Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone!

Recently got a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 8cm 3.5 lens (front and rear elements only) and would like to adapt this to use on a 4x5 camera. I have been trying to get into large format and finally acquired a Anny Speed Graphic camera. Since this is all new to me I’m not sure how to go about picking a shutter for this lens. The front thread is about 34mm and the rear is 29.5. Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated!

Do you have the correct lensboard with the proper size hole?

@bob_salomon I don’t have a lens board or shutter, just the front and rear elements. After some searching I have found someone trying to sell this lens adapted to a Leica 39mm mount but I can’t figure out what they did. I need a way to mount the 2 elements either in a shutter or on a barrel (and use the focal plane shutter). I’m just not sure what to even look for.

It would be less expensive to just buy a used 135 or 150mm lens already in shutter then to waste money on what you have now.

I think you are right. I will just get a different lens for the Speed Graphic. If I did want to get this lens mounted at some point (sounds like I should just do a 35mm lens mount from what [uSER=2403817]@rodeo_joe|1[/uSER] said) where should I look? Also here is a shot of what I’ve got.

6C9C32B7-61E1-4091-B1B4-9B65501A1FE6.thumb.jpeg.cf36d4f5a6fb874c7ab6d61aeead0041.jpeg

Your lens is for either a 35mm or a 6x6cm Camera. Unless you have a bellows focusing camera like the Rollie SL66 with a focal plane shutter you would need a helical focusing mount and the tube to mount it. It might have come from an old Exacta 35mm SLR.

Your best use for this lens would be to see if one group would work as a magnifying lens.

You can't just screw the two halves of a lens into any old tube or shutter either. The two sets of lenses have to have a precise gap between them for the best image quality - usually achieved with shims or the tightness of the shutter front-flange.

What's a shutterless old Jena Tessar worth in two halves anyway? Not the time and effort to find a suitable shutter and mount it IMO. It's not like it's a rare or interesting lens.

An original 13.5 or 15 cm Goerz Dagor (Doppel-Anastigmat) might be worth saving.... but a Tessar?