Need recommendation for SLR replacement

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by alan_varga, Feb 27, 2021.

1. I was probably unclear in my original post, but I don't expect to use any of my Minolta's lenses (primary, wide-angle or telephoto) on a newer body. But I do have 5 color filters and a 3-lens set of close-ups that worked with those 55mm diameter accessories, and for now I don't want to spend the money to re-buy them, especially if I decide later to upgrade from the low-end DSLR I'm about to buy to a different one in 5 years.

I found the Canon 70D I'm looking at in the used section of Adorama, so if I can't find anything local, I'm comfortable with that.

mikemorrell likes this.
  2. There are actually a couple more brick and mortar stores within 25 miles of my home, so I'm going to call ahead tonight and probably go out shopping tomorrow.

Based on other comments, I don't mind if the Canon 70D is old, as long as it is a sound camera and is within my price range. Although not "modern", it's newer than my Minolta.;)

3. Amazon has a $160 kit with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens, 3 piece Lens Filter Kit (UV, CPL, FLD), Magnification Close up kit (+1 +2 +4 +10),
    tulip hood, collapsible rubber hood, lens cleaning pen/dust blower, lens cap and starter kit (perhaps memory cards).

4. "Amazon has a $160 kit"
    IMHO, most of the extra stuff in a kit is usually junk. Since you have close up attachments, just get the applicable adaptor ring and use what you have. Don't really need a UV filter and I usually find that the official Canon lens hood (a bayonet type) will be easier to use than a collapsible rubber hood, and worth the Canon ripoff pricing. Get a couple of name brand 32 or 64GB cards, which are real cheap now.

alan_varga likes this.
  5. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

The underlined and bold section is your output criteria, as such it does not logically follow that you should immediately conclude the only tool for those two tasks is a DSLR with a Prime Lens. You might have other output based criteria which draws you to conclude that a DSLR and Prime Lens is the only option for you: yet I can't see those listed.

Suggest you investigate if these below, (and others similar), fit your two criteria,and perhaps bring other benefits.

Assuming your budget is US$, then I think these all are around or are under that price point, the list is in no particular order of priority:

Canon PowerShot SX70 HS
    Nikon Coolpix P950, Nikon Coolpix P1000
    Panasonic Lumix FZ2000, Panasonic Lumix FZ80 / FZ82, Panasonic Lumix FZ1000, Panasonic FZ300 / FZ330
    Sony Cyber-shot RX10 IV, Sony Cyber-shot RX10 III, Sony Cyber-shot HX400V

Personally I have owned several of the Canon PowerShot Cameras and found them very good, noted that one reason for me buying PowerShot is that I own Canon Speedlites.

WW

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  6. William Michael

The camera was released in 2013. Technology has advanced since then. My expectation would be some of those Bridge Cameras mentioned would outperform the 70D at ISO1600 and above - though depending upon what genre of 'low light' photography you want to explore, that might not be relevant.

The 50mm F/1.8 Lens will give you a Field of View approximating an 80mm lens used on your old Minolta Camera.

WW

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  7. William Michael

I'd guess the '5 color filters' will be redundant for a Digital Camera.

If required - provided you use a Step Up Ring, (not Step Down Rings) the Close Up Filters should adapt OK.

WW

8. The two brick and mortar stores won't work for me; one only handles used cameras, with one in my price range, the other has nothing in my price range.

I've narrowed down my choice to:

1) Nikon 7100 body ($419) + AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G lens ($197)

2) Canon EOS Rebel T7 body + 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is II Kit + EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens ($574)

3) Canon EOS 70D body ($399) + EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens ($125)

Final thoughts?

9. AJG

AJG

From your list I would go with the Nikon 7100 and 35 mm f/1.8 lens. The Canon Rebels that I have handled are a bit plasticy and only have one dial to handle both f/stop and shutter speed setting. Coming from your more conventional Minolta that will probably take some getting used to.

alan_varga likes this.
  10. Some of the larger sensor compact cameras on William Michaels list (with a Sony 1" sensor) would work for me for travel and lots of other stuff, but would not compete in low light with a modern APSC sensor + fast lens. Of the three cameras listed, I agree with AJG's assessment of the Canon Rebel. The Nikon has the best sensor of the 3, and the available fast prime is the focal length you want, so it's up to you.

alan_varga likes this.
  11. Thanks everyone; the Nikon it is. I appreciate your time, and also the education.

Karim Ghantous likes this.
  12. A 50mm lens on the APS-C Canon 70D will not give you a 'standard' angle of view. The 35mm lens on the DX Nikon D7100 will.

13. Isn't the D7100 also an APS-C camera with a crop factor of 1.5 vs the Canon's 1.6? 50mm on the D7100 will have a 35mm-equivalence of 75mm vs. the Canon's 80mm. Still not quite a standard view.

14. Late to the party here but @alan_varga made the right choice. A D7100 and 35mm is a great kit for somebody who likes a 50mm on 135 film, and the D7100 for that price is a heck of a lot of price/performance.

15. Yes it is. And if you read the OP's shortlist, it comes with a 35mm f/1.8 lens. Giving an equivalent angle-of-view to a 50mm lens on full-frame.

16. Got it, thank you for the clarification.

17. D700s are pretty aged now, but I have one, and I think its still a pretty good camera.

18. Yes, resolution is greatly overrat........