Need program to smooth Pizza-Face images

After 60 years of photography, my nearly perfect camera has turned out to be a Sony T100.

The only problem is that it's 8 MP, which is fine until the light gets so low that I must shoot at ISO=800, often giving a "pizza-face" look to some subjects, especially under harsh lighting, (I shoot a lot in restaurants and bars).

I don't need to show more detail, just want to smooth some of the facial skin.

(I have Photoshop Elements 1-13)

Thanks for the tips.

Wilhelm

Sounds like it may not be the perfect camera after all, at least in low light situations.

Software may be an adequate solution for some people and in some low light solutions, but there’s often a trade-off to getting rid of noise that way in terms of other qualities.

I’d consider a camera/lens that does better at higher ISOs, or avoid shooting in low light, or use a flash or other fill light subtly for support when the light is too low.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

I long ago gave up on posting images -- guess I'm too old, or just too stupid to learn how to do it.

Then a fix (other than using a better capture device) would make your head explode :)

• Like 1

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Sounds like it may not be the perfect camera after all, at least in low light situations.

Software may be an adequate solution for some people and in some low light solutions, but there’s often a trade-off to getting rid of noise that way in terms of other qualities.

I’d consider a camera/lens that does better at higher ISOs, or avoid shooting in low light, or use a flash or other fill light subtly for support when the light is too low.

Thanks, Fred.

Notice that I said "nearly" perfect.

I've literally considered dozens of cameras, and always come back to the T100. Apparently the stabilization system (from the old Minoltas) works much better than the later, smaller, and higher resolution cameras. 35-175mm (equiv) seems just right for me. My wonderful little Sony RX100/5 would be perfect except for the weight and the big old lens sticking out in front. Otherwise, I might as well just be using one of my old Leicas, and scanning the film.

Replacing the 8 MP sensor with a 12 MP model would fix everything, but I don't know if that's something that can be done.

Wilhelm

Then a fix (other than using a better capture device) would make your head explode :)

What "other capture device" do you have in mind that can replace the T100?

My problem isn't pictures yet to be made, but printing those already in my files.

Replacing the 8 MP sensor with a 12 MP model would fix everything, but I don't know if that's something that can be done.

The issue is noise, not resolution right?

Are you shooting raw (can you)? Are you exposing for raw data to produce the least noise possible?

http://digitaldog.net/files/ExposeForRaw.pdf

That alone can go a LONG way to reducing noise.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

My apologies. Brain in neutral -- I didn't mean to extoll the virtues of the T100, but just wanted help in printing images which are unwatchable because of low-resolution artifacts on faces. Some of these were even shot on my Kindle (2 MP), and their noses look like the infamous J. P. Morgan strawberry nose.

Your time and attention is appreciated, and again I apologize for you spending it and me wasting it.

Unfortunately, expertise often requires hard work.

Although the "explode" comment was seemingly off the topic, it is very appropriate.

Posting a picture here has proved possible for some of the most astonishingly naive members. The software and practices necessary to cure "pizza-face" are going to be almost always even more complex.

What "other capture device" do you have in mind that can replace the T100?

Too many to list really.

But before you throw the baby out with the bath water, I'll ask again: are you shooting raw and exposing that data ideally? If not, that's why you've increased the noise in your images. A URL on this has been provided.

help in printing images which are unwatchable because of low-resolution artifacts on faces. Some of these were even shot on my Kindle (2 MP), and their noses look like the infamous J. P. Morgan strawberry nose.

You may be assuming too much. I now realize that it’s stuff already shot you want to get a good print of, and not future shots you’re as concerned about. Not everything can be magically fixed. Sometimes, a bad result out of the camera, due to low light and resultant noise and artifacts, is going to mean you simply won’t get a good print.

While photography is sometimes magical, it’s not magic. Yes, you can make lemonade from lemons, but not if the lemons are moldy and rotten.

I can pretty well guess at what you’re talking about (since we see these kinds of bad results often) without your being able to post an example though, as others have said, if you can’t figure out or be bothered to learn how to post a photo here, a simple task indeed, you’re going to be hard-pressed to be able to work with a noise reduction or other “fix-it” software measures skillfully enough to get your current undesirable photos to look decent.

It’s pretty important to have a tool that suits the job, and if you’re getting these kinds of bad results from a camera in this day and age, you’re using an inappropriate and ineffective tool, no matter how “nearly” perfect it is.

If you love the tool, for whatever reasons, and want to stick with it, a) figure out what situations it works well in and stick to those, b) use it in undesirable situations and live with the bad results as a trade-off to working with a tool you love, c) get a different tool for situations in which you’d like to shoot where your present tool isn’t performing well.

I’m pretty good at post processing and have worked with some pretty bad files due to low light or bad conditions and not having the right camera or lens available. Rarely are you going to adequately “fix” an extremely pixelated face or the nose you describe. I’ve had the best luck not trying to get a shot like that to look like an Ansel Adams print, but instead going in the direction of a more raw look. Take a look at some Japanese photographers whose “quality” differs greatly from what we typically consider technical perfection. In other words, work with what you’ve got instead of trying to dress it up. For example, if the face is dark and very noisy as is and/or lightening it will cause more noise and artifacts, darken it into more shadow instead, if you can thus create a mood. Many attempts to put lipstick on a pig just wind up looking like a pig with lipstick! :)

• Like 1
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!