Need Monitor and Laptop

I am looking to buy a new Monitor for my Sony Vaio Desktop computer. I don't

know any technical things about monitors. I just know I want a big screen that

obviously can be color managed easily.

In a couple months I am looking to buy a Macbook Pro. I want to be able to hook

this new monitor to the Macbook Pro. I will be using Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom.

Can someone recommend some good monitors and color profile software? (I think

that is what they are called) I need a monitor that works with my Sony PC and a Mac.

I think I might just go to and apple store to talk to someone about what

specific Mac will work for me.

I have been very pleased with my new setup (March 07) using a MacBookPro 15.4, 2.33 GhZ,

3 GB RAM with an Apple 23" Display. I primarily use Aperture and limited PhotoShop CS2. I

also use Nikon Capture NX. The Pantone/gretagmacbeth Eye-one Display 2 does a nice

calibration job on the Apple 23".

The compatibility of any monitor you buy now depends on the specs of your Vaio. Specifics?

Model number? Someone else here may have more info. Suggest you check out the

discussions section of Apple online support and search for Sony Vaio under "Displays".

At 400$, I wouldn't go above 20". The 22" offerings from everybody all use the same panel (PVA), which bleeds light horribly at top & bottom and doesn't show true black.

Maybe keep the Sony for checking email on the road, offloading cards (but they're so cheap now), etc, and add a 24" imac. Save some bucks AND get a bad ass display.

Color profile software all pretty much works the same. Buy one of the big 3 and you won't know the difference. The real decision is are you ever going to profile a printer? Scanner? If so, buy something expandable.

I'd be more concerned with what quality display I was going to be staring at and evaluating my photography on for the next 2 years, than what brand software created my ICC profiles.

The Dell 2007 Wide screen for photography? Not much. At least on XP. We have several of

these and they are OK for general use but not photography. Just finished calibrating my Dell

2007 on XP this AM with the Eye-One and I think the iMac G5 20" is better. The Dell is

brighter than the older G5 iMacs. Newer iMacs are brighter. I can do photos on XP but use the

Mac instead. The Apple 23" Cinema Display vx. the Dell 2007 Wide - no comparison.

What about using a LCD TV screen for a monitor? The price comparison seems to give you more for your money. However, can this be color corrected still? I have never thought of this until a "Best Buy" guy recommended it. Is the quality different from a computer monitor and a TV screen?

• 2 weeks later...

Samsung 24" LCD - In Canada, just gone on sale for $499 CN - a bit less than $475 US - pixel pitch is .27, fast response time, very good colour management. Value is hard to beat. You can spend 4x as much and the difference is hard to notice.

The 27" monitors are all just bigger pixels - resolution drops, and I find I can notice the pixels individually - they are .30 - you don't get smaller pixels again until 30" - those are fabulous - Apple, HP, Samsung, Dell - all very nice monitors - I am sure the glass is made by the same company - these have a .25 pixel pitch and stunning display - but are about $1600 up.

The sizes at which pixel pitch hits a low point in LCD monitors has been 17, 20, 24 and 30. Monitors in between these sizes just have bigger pixels, and therefore the same resolution - just larger size image. Amazing values are to be had for some very fine 20" monitors these days - well under $200.

Before getting too worried about the brands, you should realize that the underlying glass is made by only a handful of huge factories in the world - with 10 or 20 or more manufacturers packaging them up in their name. The electronics on top of the glass varies considerably, but the glass is essentially the same. It is graded by quality (ie # dead pixels), but all from the same factories.

Even the crappiest cheapest LCD monitor you get is quite amazing by standards from a few years ago. (I weep when I think what I have paid for monitors over the past 15 years).