Need keywords and tips for shooting headshots

tom_dubowski

<p>I've read a on blogs and peter Hurley stuff, and there's always a bunch of keywords and actions he has (as other people do) to make their subjects react and give certain expressions. I'll be shooting a corporate head shot session soon and wanted to know what you guys use as tips to invoke your subjects to pose and give micro expressions for your shots?<br>

Some keywords and tips I've read:<br>

- Look down, look up<br />- Give me the: blue steel, pretend you ate a lime, looked surprised, happy, look serious, pretend you just won the lottery<br>

Other ideas or keywords you use?</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I do a crap load of corporate headshots. A lot of times it's just a very quick session at an event so I don't have much time with them. The key is to just have a great personality and make it fun. Some will be nervous. Remember, they are real people. Models and actors, which is what Hurley does mainly, is a little more easier to direct since that's what they are trained to do. Asking a GM or VP of a company to give you a certain type of look is just ridiculous. Keep it simple. A slight body turn, no more than 45 degrees with the face straight back into camera or a little turned is a good start. Try to shoot both sides and straight on. Have them bend at the wait a little into the lens. If they are tall, stand on a small step stool to get YOU higher. Keep the energy up by talking all the time. Doesn't even matter what you say just don't sit there being quite. It makes them nervous and and feel awkward. Giving them directions is what usually fills the void. Guide with your hand(s). They will follow it. I always tend to say "A little more happiness". For some reason that gets them to smile. Realize some don't like to smile. May have a bad smile and/or bad teeth. Fix their tie, check their hair, pull down on the jacket so it's snug to the neck. Have double chin people lean a bit more and then lift the chin. You be on the step stool again. They will thank you. They may even ask to help get rid of it. Easy stuff to remember, huh? Ha! I just did 80 headshots in one hour the other day. Yes, it was kind of like herding cattle but that's what it is sometimes. Other times you have more time. But I get hired a lot so I must be doing something right. </p>