Need information on the 500mm/f4 P PLEASE!

berryl

What do you think about this lense, Nikon Nikkor ED 500mm 1:4P Telephoto Lens,

I have done some searchs and came up with very little. Got some info on the

4.0 lense but not the 1.4. Does anyone know anything about this lense and its

approximate value. I would appreciate any info you have.

Thanks,

Berryl

Yep, a 500mm lens with a maximum aperture of 1.4 would be absolutely enormous! Berryl, the listing you saw was just a mis-spelling. There is no such lens as 500mm 1.4, it is an F/4P. I don't know what the P means though...interesting, or perhaps that was a mis-spelling too?

Anyhow, the Nikkor ED 500mm f/4.0 would be rather pricey I'd imagine. You gonna bid for it?

Cheers.

Thanks guys, I feel kind of stupid not noticing this myself. I guess I got cought up in the excitment of a possible good buy. They have this lense on ebay for $2000.oo. It looked good anyway. And its gone in about 2 hours. I had a shot the other day of a Doe and two fawns sucking and I ran out of available light, I was using my 80-400 af vr. Thats why this lense looked so good. Thanks for your help!

Berryl

I own it and use it all the time with my d 200 and Nikon film bodies. It meters with almost all Nikon bodies because it is a P lens. It has a computer chip in it. It is a manual focus lens. Takes Nikon tcs, the 14B and the tc 301. (When these are added you might lose metering on some Nikon bodies.) Will accept all Nikon ex tubes. Go here for info on it: http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#rating

It is very sharp when used wide open at f 4.0. That is the aperture I use most of the time.

Joe Smith

Hey guys,

Would you buy this lense or the Nikon Telephoto AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8D ED-IF II AF, I am thinking that in poor lighting this would be a good long lense and in good light a teleconverter would be a great add on with it being a f/2.8 verses an f/4. Which one would you buy?

Berryl

Even though it isn't as enormous as a 1.4 would be, it's a pretty big thing. Make sure you're ready for the size. You'll need a very steady tripod and head. Make sure that the one you're looking at is complete. It takes slide in filter holders, one for a regular glass filter, and one for gel. The glass one at least should be present. There's also a special one for polarizer that is not part of the original package, and pretty expensive. It comes with a humungous metal lens hood and the case is a small trunk. The "lens cap" is a boot that slips over the end of the lens and laces. There's also a special strap for it, but I think that was an optional extra.

Carry the lens/camera by a strap attached to the lens. It's not a good idea to support the lens via the camera mounting flange. Depending on your camera, it may be desirable to select a special viewing screen.

Even though it does not autofocus, you can manually do a pretty fast job by observing the green focus verification arrows in the camera's viewfinder. I mostly have mine mounted to my F4S, often with the TC14B 1.4X teleconverter. It is definitely a tripod lens! I use the Kirk BH-1 and Wimberley Sidekick on a Gitzo 1228 CF to reduce the weight as much as possible. It will take the Nikon telescope converter which turns it into a 50X125 monocular.

If you hadn't guessed, the optics are excellent! Check with KEH for current prices.

A long tele requires a system to get good results--camera, lens, tcs, ball head or gimbal head, a very good tripod and good technique. The Nikon 400 f 2.8 AF-S lens weighs too much for me to lug it around in the field. I use a gitzo 1325, gitzo level base, Nikon 500mm f 4.0 P lens, Nikon d 200, Nikon tcs, wimberley gimbal head, wimberley flash bracket, better beamer flash extender, and nikon sb-800 flash and remote cord. Joe Smith

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...