need info on old gitzo reporter mk3

marco_p1

Hi to all, I have the chance to buy this tripod, but only have this small

photo. I am currently using a Manfrotto 055 CLB (Bogen 3021), and I am just

wondering if this would be a superior tripod, considering there is a 500 mm in

my plans. I am afraid I would loose an appreciated feature of my current

manfrotto: it goes flat to the ground, but I hope it would be more stable,

esp. with the legs extended. What do you think? Thank You, Marco<div>00NsfL-40748484.jpg.9cd34db344c947aa8bfa8ecc7a6014c7.jpg</div>

You probably want to take a pass on this particular tripod.

The "Reporter" is a series 2 tripod, which is comparable to a Manfrotto 3021, but taller, stiffer and lighter. I would not recommend a series 2 Gitzo for anything longer than 200mm (300mm equivalent). A series 3 is a better size for general photography, and would be minimally qualified for a 500mm lens (with a good head). A series 5 would be the best for long lenses, but are heavy and really big - too big to carry any distance.

There are several models of the Reporter tripod. All have stops at the top of each leg that can be pulled out to increase the leg angle. This tripod looks like the smaller version, which has only two settings, not quite flat. The larger G-224 (or G-1224) "Industrial" has three settings, out to nearly flat (with a stub column). Used 224/1224 aluminum tripods usually sell for $150 to $200 ($280 new).

• 1 year later...

<p>I am also looking at an older used Gitzo but it will be my first Tripod it is a reporter but not sure on the exact model I just have this picture to go from apparently it weighs about 4lbs and hold 15 lbs apparently it does not have a number on it but may be a 260 according to the seller. It folds down to 21" and has a max height of 63". There are also a couple more to choose from such as a Gitzo Loisir which folds down to 17" and extends to 60"I have also been considering a new Tiffen Vista Attaras Grounder tripod which is less than half the price and comes with a 10 year warranty it folds down to 27" and goes to 63" and weighs 4.5 lbs. I would rather buy the less expensive Tiffen but I have been told that less expensive tripods are no good and shake when fully extended so I'm wondering if a used Gitzo would be money better spent.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I am also considering an older Gitzo but it will be my first and only tripod. The one I'm looking at is a reporter series but not sure on the exact model, seller says it may be a 260 but has no markings. It folds down to 21" and goes to 63", weighs aprox 4lbs and holds 15lbs. Seller also has a Loisir which folds down to 17" and goes to 60". I have also have my eyes on a Tiffen Vista Attaras Grounder tripod which is less than half the price of the Gitzos. It folds down to 27", goes to 63" and has a 10 year warranty. I'm 5'10" and will be using a Rebel XS with either the kit lens or a 70-300mm canon IS lens. I would rather purchase the inexpensive Tiffen tripod but I have been told that cheap tripods are no good and shake when you take a picture and could possibly collapse on you but I'm not sure if this is true for the Tiffen. Anyways if anyone has any suggestions for me I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.</p>

<p>P.S. I apologize for the above double post as I thought the first one did not go through and I don't know how to delete it.</p><div>00SAO5-105867684.jpg.5ad83188f24da2c63bae564586fe43eb.jpg</div>