Need help with Wein SSR-jr: what am I doing wrong?

mediumformat

I just received a used Wein SSR-jr slave set. The problem is I can't get it to work with my Rolleiflex or Mamiya TLR, both with no hot shoe.

I put in new 9 volt battery to infrared sender per the instructions, and plugged in the slave unit into the back of my Lumedyne head. When I use the test button on the sender, no flash. I triple checked everything.

Here's the question: do I need to have the pc cord from the sender to the post on the lens to test the system?The unit did not come with the Wein pc cord.

Check to see if the Wein is indeed sending a signal, cup your hand over

it and press white test button in rear or check on hot shoe of camera, you should see a red flash,

the Wein units unfortunatly are cheaply constructed and prone to problems, junk, but I got one.

RJ,

I have the same unit, seems to work fine. I have had instances where the slave was blocked from direct line-of-sight and, therefore, did not flash. You can't always count on the reflections of infrared to trigger your slave. As Gary suggested above, see if you get a red flash from the transmitter when you press the test button. If not, check your battery. If you do, bring the transmitter right up next to the slave and press the test button. If it still doesn't fire, you may have a defective slave. In that case, return it to the dealer for a new unit. hth.

I use regular flashes to trigger various wein slaves.

It works pretty good but you need to make sure enough light gets from the master unit to the slaves.

You may need to use a PC cord sou you can point your SSR directly toward one of the slaves. If one of them fires that will usually be enough light to trigger the rest.