Need help with trancievers

alanu

Hello, I want to start doing portraits and have so far found everything I need except for flash triggers. Are there any good cheap ones that can fire a flash on my Canon t3i / 600D and a slave inside an umbrella where the flash from my camera can't reach, and one that can just fire the slave inside the umbrella without firing a flash from my camera? i found ones called Yongnuo RF-603 II but there are different versions and I don't know which ones will fill my purpose or which are good. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a budget of 30-40 dollars US

AFAIK, there are only two versions of YN RF-603 ii; a Canon version and a Nikon version. You'll obviously want the Canon version.

I use RF-603s myself. They're very reliable, but what you need to understand from the outset is that these are what's called "dumb" triggers. They offer no e-ttl control of the flash whatsoever.

In other words any flash that they fire needs to be in manual or Auto-Aperture mode (if available). This generally means you need to have full control over the camera exposure too. No use setting the on-camera flash to e-ttl and hoping the slave flashes will "work out".

BTW, leaving a flash on camera is pointless if you're trying to create nice portrait lighting. On-camera is possibly the worst place for light to come from (modern lazy fashion-snappers please note!).

I'm not quite sure if this is what you're looking for & even worse I have no actual experience with it. Because of that I can't vouch for quality & so on.

"JF-G Series" is a 3 in 1 remote control device.

A wireless studio pc sync flash trigger.

A wireless cobra hot-shoe flash trigger.

And also a wireless remote control for DSLR camera.

Kit including a transmitter, a receiver and cables.

All-in-one, for the studio, indoor and outdoor shooting.

Trigger a connected camera and an off-camera flash (with a receiver) simultaneously.

Control studio headlight, hot-shoe Speedlight and camera shutter.

Ultra-fast micro-chips enabling sync speeds of 1/250sec.

Reliable and long distance control using frequency 2.4 Ghz.

Transmitter distance: 100 meters (open area).

Multi-channel: 16 different channels.

Sync-speed:1/250 sec.

Dimensions receiver: 79.9x37.8x33.2mm.

Power supply : 2x 1.5V AAA batteries (included).

Dimensions transmitter: 62.6x39.2x27.1mm.

Power supply : 1x 12V compact battery (included).

Included:

1x JF-G transmitter.

1x JF-G receiver.

1x Studio light cable.

1x Shutter release cable.

2x AAA alkaline battery.

1x CR2032 battery.

1x Manual in English.

Compatibility:

Cable-K: Replace Fujifilm RR-80.

but it may be worth a look here:

Remote Control Flash Trigger Fujifilm FinePix S9000 S9100 S9600 S100FS S9500 | eBay

This exact version is for Fuji, but many others are available.

What exactly are you attempting Alanu?

A pair of RF-603s will trigger one off-camera flash. One transceiver sits in the camera hotshoe, and another slides onto the flash. Tripping the camera shutter then transfers the "fire" command by radio to the flash instantaneously. You can easily get 30 metres range.

If you want to fire more flashes then you need one additional RF-603 for each additional flash. I.e a 3 off-camera flash setup would need 4 transceivers.

As long as you're OK with losing all flash automation and setting the flash power manually, that's all you need. However, to retain e-ttl control you need something far more expensive.

There are cheaper triggers that do much the same as the YN RF603, and I've used a few. By comparison the YongNuos have better build quality and reliability (and understandable instructions). That's why they cost a little bit more.

That sounds like what I need. I am trying to put a single flash in an umbrella and make the flash fire when I press the shutter button. So then with the yuongo rf603 trigger I just set one on my camera hot shoe and the other one with a flash in the umbrella and that single flash will go off?

You need a hotshoe+umbrella swivel adapter like this.

The bottom of the transceiver clips into the adapter and the flash fits into the top hotshoe.

You might find that taking a file to the adapter clip gives a more secure fit. I've filed little V notches into mine to stop the transceiver sliding about or falling out.

BTW. I'm not recommending that particular vendor or product. It's just typical of the style of adapter needed. You can pay 10 times the amount for a similar product if you want to!

Edited by rodeo_joe|1