Need help with setting up Nikon wireless flashes...

alan_lawrence

<p>I've got an SB-900, SB-700 and several SB-80s and Yongnuo flashes. I want to attach the PocketWizard MiniTT1 to my camera and trigger the SB-700 with the PW FlexTT5. Then, I want that SB-700 to optically trigger the other flashes. I can't get that to happen. The Yongnuo flashes trigger, but the Nikon flashes don't. I'm using the Nikon D810 with the flash mode set to manual. <br>

If I use my popup flash and set the camera to commander mode, they all go off. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. I've got all the flashes set to remote. Any ideas? Thanks!</p>

<p>1. The radio trigger to camera needs to be set to a different channel than the flash are. This will introduce some lag--I suggest sync 1/90s.<br /> 2. I don't think the SB-80s are going to work because they aren't iTTL, i.e. it's a different system than your other flash. <br /> 3. Dig into menu and set pop-up flash to (--) and see if that helps.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I assume (since it's mandatory if you want to trigger them manually) that your SB80 and Yungnuo flash units are in SU4 mode (is that what you describe as remote?) which will allow them to be triggered remotely by the flash of another unit (irrelevant of whatever mode the speedlights themselves are set in).</p>

<p>This however also means they will also be triggered by the preflash of the SB700, if that is set in TTL mode, which means they will flash before the actual picture is taken, and leave them depleted on the moment it is.<br>

So in order to have both the SB700 and the SB80/Youngnuo units to flash simultaneously, rather then the SB80 and Yungnuo's prematurely, you have to change the remote settings in your camera to Manual (which will also have your SB700 go in Manual lash, so not TTL or A etc, mode).</p>

<p>I use TT5's both as trigger and receiver units, and I leave the (in my case) SB800's in whatever mode I want, without changing the settings to Remote mode.<br>

The on camera PW will follow whatever I dialed in the camera's Remote Flash settings (in the camera's menu), override the 'old' settings anyway and follow whatever I dialed in on the camera. </p>

<p>So if you have your SB700 on a TT5, don't mess with the Master/Remote setting of the SB700, turn those Off and just leave it in TTL, or whatever you had it in before.<br>

The latter of course means also you will have find out by trial and error the (power) setting for the SB700 that will give you the correct exposure. No really a problem, since you would have to do so anyway as the output of your 'additional' speedlights are not remotely controlled (while being triggered) by the PW1 anyway.<br>

I use a similar set up when I e.g. mix my SB800's with my Bowens and Hensel studio flash units (which have built in optical flash triggers)</p>

<p>Sorry, I was in the middle of re-editing my first reaction when the system informed me I have exceeded the time allotted for that.<br>

<br />So this is what I meant to say (after re-reading your original post):</p>

<p>I assume (since it's mandatory if you want to trigger them manually) that your SB80 and Yungnuo flash units are in SU4 mode (is that what you describe as remote?) which will allow them to be triggered remotely by the flash of another unit (irrelevant of whatever mode the speedlights themselves are set in).<br>

<br />I also assume you will use the SB900 mounted on the TT1, have those mounted on your camera (not my choice, I find the plastic hotnshoe mount a bit too fragile to carry all that weight), and dial in the (power) settings for the SB900 (as Master) and SB700 (as remote, mounted on the TT5) in the SB900's menu</p>

<p>This however also means the SB80's and Yungnuo's will also be triggered by the preflash of the SB900, if that is set in TTL mode, which means they will flash before the actual picture is taken, and leave them depleted on the moment it is.<br>

<br /> So in order to have both the SB900 and the SB80/Youngnuo units to flash simultaneously, rather then the SB80 and Yungnuo's prematurely, you have to change the output/metering in the remote settings in your SB900 to Manual (so it no longer emits a preflash)<br>

Since you're only using one TT5 as receiver, the choice of channel (A, B, or C) for the receiver is irrelevant, since the Master (trigger) unit will activate all of them anyway.</p>

<p>With regard to using the SB900 as a master, and the SB700 as a PW triggered remote, chose the settings for the Master flash (in your case SB900) in the SB900's menu, leave the SB700's in whatever mode you want, without changing the settings of the SB700 to Remote mode, and chose the power settings and mode for the SB700 (as a remote) in the SB900's Remote Flash menu.<br>

<br /> The on camera TT1 unit will trasnmit whatever you dialed in the SB900's Remote Flash settings, override the 'old' SB700 setting and make the SB700 follow whatever you dialed in on the Master SB900.<br>

So if you have your SB700 on a TT5, don't mess with the Master/Remote setting of the SB700, turn those Off and just leave it in TTL, or whatever you had it in before.<br>

<br /> The latter of course means also you will have find out by trial and error the (power) settings/ratio's for the SB700 and SB80's/Yungnuo's that will give you the correct exposure.<br>

No really a problem, since you would have to do so anyway as the output of your 'additional' speedlights are not remotely controlled (while being triggered) by the SB900 Master/TT1 anyway.<br>

<br /> I use a similar set up when I e.g. mix my SB800's with my Bowens and Hensel studio flash units (which have built in optical flash triggers)</p>

<p>Paul, I want everything to be manual. I'm using 4 flashes to light up home interiors. I don't want a flash on camera. I want just the PW on camera with a SB-700 set to manual on the other PW to trigger the other 4 flashes. Does this make sense?</p>

<p><em>I want everything to be manual. I'm using 4 flashes to light up home interiors. I don't want a flash on camera. I want just the PW on camera with a SB-700 set to manual on the other PW to trigger the other 4 flashes. Does this make sense?</em><br>

Makes sense, and life a lot easier<br>

- Put the TT1 on your D810<br>

- Go into the menu of the D810, option E3 (setting for the pop up flash)<br>

- Don't pop up the pop up flash (unnecessary since you won't be using it)<br>

- Select CMD mode (commander mode)<br>

you now go in a sub menu asking for<br>

- Mode and Correction (of the power setting) for the pop up flash => irrelevant since you won't be using it<br>

Not 100% sure about the term 'Correction', that's what it's called in the Dutch language menu of my D800's<br>

(I'm Dutch, so obviously don't use the English menu)<br>

- Channel A => Mode: Manual => Correction: to be determined later after your test shots<br>

- Channel B : irrelevant since you'll be using channel A<br>

- and turn it of<br>

<em>I have 2 D800's and they have identical menus to the D810, and checked the above to be sure</em></p>

<p>Now go to your SB700 (or SB900 if you like)<br>

- switch it on, that's it (so don't select Master or Remote)<br>

Don't worry about whether you have it in M, TTL or whatever mode, the setting you picked in E3 will overrule that<br>

- and turn it off<br>

<em>I have a SB910 which has the same button lay out on the back as the SB700</em></p>

<p>Go to your TT5, and select channel A (since that's the channel you chose on your camera)<br>

and mount the (switched off) SB700.</p>

<p>As you probably are aware of, the PW's are very picky about the sequence in which the several components are switched on, it should always be 'top to bottom'<br>

<br />So with the D810, it's the TT1 first, and then the camera.<br>

Similarly with the SB700 on the TT5, first the SB700, then the TT5<br>

If you don't follow the correct sequence, things will foul up (learnt that the hard way myself)<br>

And you're set to go</p>

<p>Be sure to have your SB80's and Yungnuo's in SU4 mode.<br>

Take a testshot to see whether the picture is properly exposed, and if necessary change the powersettings<br>

- on the SB700 mounted on the TT5 : remotely using the Correction option in the submenu of option E3<br>

- On the SB80/Yungnuo manually on the speedlights themselves<br>

(yes, that means walking to and fro till you have the correct powersetting)<br>

I have the same 'issue' when I'm shooting with my -non TTL- studio flashes :( )</p>

<p>HTH</p>

<p> </p>