Need help with replacing the flash head on an old novatron light.

dan_belmont

Hey if anyone can help me it would be greatly appretiated. Here's my

problem: I recently bought an old novatron 440 plus power supply and

3 novatron flash heads with 100 watt modeling lights. The flash

heads are rated as follows: 1 480ws 1 240ws and one 120 ws. I paid

1000 for this kit along with 2 large softboxes, and a large hand

painted muslin. When I got the kit home I discovered that one of the

flash tubes was broken (in the 120 ws light). The modeling light

still works fine. My first question is can I replace it with a new

head. If so where could I find it and what do I look for as far as

compatability goes. The kit is very old,1984 or so...

Dan, can you return the package for a refund? In my opinion you paid way too much for this setup, however if it works for you and you're happy, then thats what counts. See the following site:

http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?bid=SL&cid=51&sid=newused&crid=7664250

The heads are all the same in the Novatron setup that you describe. The difference is that you have a full 440 watt seconds available when the switch is set to high (440). Then , when you plug in 2 heads the power is split up among 2 heads giving half the power to each head. Hook up a third head and the total power is split 3 ways...

For less money you can get a much more powerful setup like the 1000vr unit and this is a current model with lots more power available to you.As far as the soft boxes, you can build diffusion screens with unlimited variable use for next to nothing. see WWW.LIGHTINGMAGIC.COM

If you still want to have the head repaired the NOVATRON factory and repair center is in Dallas, Tx.

http://www.novatron.com/

Novatron of Dallas

8230 Moberly Lane

Dallas, TX USA 75227

Sales/Factory

1-888-468-9844 (or) 1-214-388-4857

Thanks for the advice but I bought the setup used and was told that the total output for the system was 480+240+120 (840). I guess I really got screwed huh? I am pretty new to studio work. Should have done more research...Could I buy a new power pack for the lights? Would that help? Sorry about posting this question repeatedly but I was very unsure about my setup. Any more advice on fixing this system would be appretiated. Thank you

Good morning Dan,

You shouldn't need too buy another power pak for the set up that you already have to fix your problem, unless , whats happening is the heads fire on all but the low setting, in which case you can send the pack to novatron for a repair. Give them a call and talk with their tech. He will have time to ask you the pertinent questions.

The 1000vr pack doesn't plug into the 440 pack but it can be used at the same time using a slave accessory. If you had the 1000vr set up and are taking typical portraits, you could sell or use the 440 for a back up unit.

Before spending any more money, why not get the instruction sheet from novatron for the 440 unit, learn a little about what you actually have , use the 440 for awhile and then you will have more data to base your decisions on. This stuff is always available! Don't get in a panic..