Need help with finding a specific rewind part for Nikon FA

mortensloth

Hello all.

I recently got my fathers old Nikon FA camera, and I broke the rewind knob. Well, I turned it loose, so there were parts all over the place. I managed to save all parts except one.

I'm looking for this part: LINK Nikon FA part

So my question is, do you think I am able to use this "NIKON FE FM FE2 FM2 FM3A REWIND KNOB LEVER RETURN FLAT SPRING PART" for the Nikon FA? LINK https://www.ebay.com/itm/123190873106?ul_noapp=true I found on ebay.

Or do you have any other not pricey solutions, which wont require me buying a new Nikon FA camera for spare parts?

thanks in advance,

Morten

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only function of that link is to prevent the rewind crank from flopping out when you don't want it, and to hold it in the open position when you do, so if the part fits and does that job it ought to work fine, and if it fits at all you can probably bend it to taste as this is not a part of extreme precision. .

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only function of that link is to prevent the rewind crank from flopping out when you don't want it, and to hold it in the open position when you do

I just looked at my FE2(closest camera handy of this same general body style) and it certainly looks to me like you're correct.

As my FA is loaded currently I don't want to mess with it too much, but I'm pretty sure the rewind knob assembly is the same as the FM and FE series cameras(discounting the Cosina-built FM-10 and FE-10).

If this camera is being restored as a working camera, then I'd thoroughly check that it is working before putting any more time or money into it.

The FA is infamous for having an unreliable shutter. Make sure that the shutter sound changes as you change the selected speed. If you get the same 'click' noise at all speed settings, then the shutter has died - like 90% of all the FAs ever made.

OTOH, if you're just keeping the camera as a sentimental shelf ornament; the FE/FM spring ought to fit. Even if it doesn't it's not a vital component.

• Like 1

Guys,

I'll give it a go. The camera is in mint condition, and was my fathers. So I want to keep it alive as long as possible.

I can still rewind the film without the rewind lever attached, it will just take a little longer... But then again, I'm not a war-photographer, and use a roll of film over a period of months, so I think I will be good with a little extra work, changing the films. If it works it works, I'm gonna try it out.

Thanks guys.