Need help identifying this lense... Berlin Telagon 500/f5

I have a very large lense that I'm trying to figure out. Currently has a

Nikon mount on it of obviously later vintage. At the end of the barrel

has "BERLIN No XXXXX TELAGON. Can anyone tell me about these lenses? Can

send more pics of it if that would help. Would like to know: how old is it?

What was it originally made for? What's it worth? Many thanks.<div>00IWnj-33100784.jpg.b8550552159697927e852e977b2cc63d.jpg</div>

A Lens Collector's Vade Mecum says: 'Tewe seem to have specialized in really big lenses at a time when fewer makers had these in their lists. They also made movie lenses, but again these seem to have been long ones. The results were reported to be excellent and such big lenses are a real test of quality as they are relatively simple optically but need to be very well made using high quality glass blanks. Two series are noted:

Telagon f3.5-f5.0 300-500mm Petzval type (Tew001) The design changed about 1970, as a lens tested in that year was said to be a meniscus- if the comment was correct, and there may have been confusion with the next type.

Telon f5.0 400-800mm A user for astronomy mentions that a 600mm lens was "superb" and says "look for an aluminium carry-case."'

It also says a little about Astro's long lenses: 'FernBildLinsen f5.0 75, 100, 150, 200, 300, 400, 500, 640, 800mm An f6.3/400mm was

auctioned in a reflex housing at No 30,15x. This may shade into the next item. f6.3 1000mm An f6.3/1000mm was auctioned at No52,89x on a Identoscope reflex unit No53,34x for M39.

These were all in the 1966 list. The shorter were for 8mm and 16mm use, then for all sizes including 35mm movie and the 640mm and up covered 6x6cm. They were suggested for use for movie making in preference to the TelAstans as being excellently corrected, for sharpness and brilliance with little light loss in the two very

transparent glasses used in this cemented achromat. There seems also to be a f4.5 Fernbild series, eg at 500mm f4.5. The Fern lenses are thus all meniscus designs, as noted for a 150mm C-mount lens, made postwar and coated at No 5176x, and No 5260x on a 300mm f5.0 for Exakta.'

btw- as to price-

I was watching a 400mm Astro in a lot with a Praktica L---2 minutes before the auction ended it was still at $14.00--I was already celebrating,because I was putting in a bid for $60.00 in the last 15 seconds.LOL

sold for a little over $100.00--I don't remember exactly,but I'm pretty sure it was under $120.00

I had a 680mm f5 Astro-Berlin Ferbildlinse for many years. I used it on my Topcon (it had a home-machined Exakta adapter). Very nice lens, but it weighed close to 20 pounds and required all the strength of my Majestic tripod. I remember that it had a steering wheel for focusing and a hood that must have been a foot long. It had originally been used by UPI to cover sports events from the press boxes. I sold it for $500 about 15 years ago, but that was long before Ebay.

Thank you all. If anyone else has thoughts, please share them. I will probably end up putting this one on eBay and see if I get any interest. It is a big piece of glass and not suitable for what I usually shoot. I tried it with one of my Nikons a few years ago. Took some amazing pictures of hummingbirds at my feeder as a test. I wasn't that far away and the bird's body more than filled the frame. Outstanding results, but could only focus on things fairly close. Could not focus at infinity. Assume this is because of the type of mount and the distances to the elements not being as originally designed. I've got a few old adapters around and maybe could give a try with my Mamiya. Thanks again!