Need help identifying IFI 200 S film

I'm scanning in my parents old negatives and I'm trying to identify the maker/brand and type of film. The negative has the markings "IFI 200 S" and DX code 115-14. Couldn't find a match for the DX code, the closest was 115-12 and I'm thinking if it maybe was a rebranded film from a major maker or one of those camera+film packages where you send in the whole unit for processing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does it matter?

Built-in scanner software profiles are rarely absolutely accurate, and either need tweaking by hand or by previewing the list of selections to find the closest match.

If you have Vuescan, it has a massive list of presets that give a quick preview, or you can use the generic film setting and autocolour option that does a pretty good job.

The time you waste trying to track down the film type could be better spent scrolling through the preset list in the scanner software. And if the film is too obscure to find, chances are there won't be a profile for it anyway.

Thanks for the response!

I use Silverfast and the presets give pretty good results, usually very little to adjust afterwards. For unknown films I've used the generic "other" with color correction and usually that has given a reasonable result. This IFI 200 S film seems to give "strange"(some brownish, some greenish) results, maybe it's a fault in the processing of the film when developed or something else. I have a couple of hundred photos with this film and I though that I would test with a preset and see if it gives better results.

I've got hundreds of rolls to scan and I would like to spend as little time to correct images afterwards.

This IFI 200 S film seems to give "strange"(some brownish, some greenish) results, maybe it's a fault in the processing of the film

Hmmm. That sounds more like a processing fault, or the lighting conditions the film was exposed under. There'll be no preset to correct that I'm afraid.

I have a few difficult negs that just don't respond to straighforward colour correction. The only thing that works is using the Hue/Saturation tool in an image editor and applying a hue rotation and saturation adjustment to one or more colour channels - usually red or yellow or both.

If you don't have a decent image editor, the free GIMP is pretty good.

"I've got hundreds of rolls to scan and I would like to spend as little time to correct images afterwards."

- Good luck with that.

I don't think there's any shortcut to decent scanning results. You can either settle for something automated and 'close enough', or put the time in to adjust the colour properly.

I used to produce darkroom colour prints, and believe me, tweaking a few sliders in an image editor is instantaneous compared to exposing and processing test strips under an enlarger. Even with an automatic roller-transport print processing machine.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Yeah, it's a blessing to have a lot of film from your childhood, but a bit of a curse when scanning it in. :)

My thoughts were of cropping the original scans edges if needed and then doing a quick adjusting of colors on a copy as needed. That way you would have photos that you could take to the printers but still have the original to redo the adjustments if you or someone else got more time.

On the more memorable photos I would spend a lot more time to get them looking their best. I've got Photoshop Elements but I have thought of buying Lightroom. Does it make sense for scanned negatives? Have never used it before.

Sorry, I've never used lightroom, only full versions of PhotoShop or the free GIMP.

The latest 2.10 version of GIMP is almost as good as PS for most things, but there are some glaring bugs (bizarre features?) in GIMP's Hue/Saturation tool. For example: the lightness control is limited such that making a colour fully black or white is impossible. Altering the lightness of the Red channel also affects neutral greys - WTF?!

Apart from that it works really well.