NEED HELP ASAP!! CAN I REFUSE A PHOTOGRAPHY SERVICE

I am seeking some help about a photo job I am uncomfortable with. I placed an add on a Facebook job specifically looking for models. I had a person reach out to me about doing some family pictures. We discussed my prices and scheduled the session. After we scheduled the session, they proceeded to send me the last picture they had done together and it was a picture of them with Neo-Nazi flags and banners. I am not comfortable with this at all and I did not respond back yet to the message. I am looking for help before I respond because I am scared. I do not want to do this because of the ramifications that this may bring. I am also afraid that I if I say no after the fact that I scheduled the session, it will lead to other ramifications. I only scheduled the session we did not sign anything in terms of paperwork or anything like that. Just scheduled a session. That is all. Can I refuse the job because I am not comfortable with the session at all? I am in no way shape or form a racist nor do I believe any of the ideology. Looking for some help here. Any direction would be great. Again I am really scared here and just need some advice.

Well, its a choice you have to make. It seems you know you don't want to do it. What ramifications are you worried about? That no-one on the alt-right will want to hire you? In short, if you think they are neo-nazis and you don't want to take pictures of them, then don't.
  • Like 1

I can understand, and sympathise fully with your dilemma - surely the easiest way would be to reply and say that you are sorry, but that you cannot currently undertake this assignment, and wish them luck in finding another photographer. No explanation, no comments on their lifestyle, just plain and simple. You have not stated where you are, but I am assuming the USA. I do not know what the law is regarding such activities - maybe a local community law expert could assist you, free of charge ?

Good luck anyway.

• Like 1

Well, its a choice you have to make. It seems you know you don't want to do it. What ramifications are you worried about? That no-one on the alt-right will want to hire you? In short, if you think they are neo-nazis and you don't want to take pictures of them, then don't.

I guess my biggest worry is getting sued for discrimination as crazy at it sounds these days. If you read my original post. We discussed my prices and scheduled the session first, I did not know who/what the person was until after scheduling the session. It was then after the scheduling they sent me a photo with their neo-Nazi propaganda. I definitely do not want to do the session at all. I am wondering how to approach the situation with tact, that is all.

I can understand, and sympathise fully with your dilemma - surely the easiest way would be to reply and say that you are sorry, but that you cannot currently undertake this assignment, and wish them luck in finding another photographer. No explanation, no comments on their lifestyle, just plain and simple. You have not stated where you are, but I am assuming the USA. I do not know what the law is regarding such activities - maybe a local community law expert could assist you, free of charge ?

Good luck anyway.

Thanks Tony, much appreciated.

I guess my biggest worry is getting sued for discrimination

In this age of PC, getting sued for refusing to photograph neo-nazis is hardly likely. But heck, if you did end up getting sued, you can bet that 37 lawyers would be lined up to take your case pro bono.

Tact? Forget tact. Stand up for what is right.

• Like 2

Posting this publicly may not have been a good idea, but simply saying that you can't do the job (no explanation needed or advisable) is probably best.

These people may well be dangerous, so cutting off communication is good. Arguing with them will only inflame their sense of "injury".

• Like 1

A lot of photographers would relish the opportunity to photograph that world from the inside.

Then “a lot of photographers” should go right ahead and take the job. We know at least one photographer, Michael Doran, who doesn’t want to do it.

So I suggest to Michael, who asked the question, no further contact.

"You talkin' to me?"

I guess my biggest worry is getting sued for discrimination as crazy at it sounds these days. If you read my original post. We discussed my prices and scheduled the session first, I did not know who/what the person was until after scheduling the session. It was then after the scheduling they sent me a photo with their neo-Nazi propaganda. I definitely do not want to do the session at all. I am wondering how to approach the situation with tact, that is all.

Once you discovered the content they wanted you to photograph, of course, you can decline the job. These days your own reputation could be on the line if it turns out you were the photographer. People could accuse you of supporting those values.

If they had wanted you to , for example, take nude photos of their underage children...you would refuse that too. You could pesonally get into trouble.

I think you have to protect your professional reputation and your personal values and decline this contract. You original negotiations were based on incomplete information and you would not have negotiated as far as you did had you known what you later found out.

If a baker can decline to bake a cake...you can decline to take a photo.

• Like 1

Interesting problem. If you normally do this type of photography, it's likely you often photograph people with beliefs and/or ideologies that don't match your own, but you simply don't know it. Since you already set everything up, perhaps you can tell them that you'll gladly take their pictures, but you aren't comfortable with those particular props. If they still want the shots, make sure you write into the contract, and make them fully aware, that any props used in the pics are subject to the approval of the photographer. That's probably something that should be in there anyway.

Was money exchanged? Does your standard contract have language that covers this type of situation. I think there are precedents. I believe a bakery didn't want to make a cake for a gay marriage. I think there was a lawsuit but don't know what the outcome is. If you are facing this dilemma, then you probably need to consult an attorney in your jurisdiction. Or call the ACLU and see if they will advise you, though they might side with the client. Are suspected neo-nazis a protected class when it comes to discrimination. There's just a lot of legal questions that you will probably not get proper advice on from a forum.

Was money exchanged? Does your standard contract have language that covers this type of situation. I think there are precedents. I believe a bakery didn't want to make a cake for a gay marriage. I think there was a lawsuit but don't know what the outcome is. If you are facing this dilemma, then you probably need to consult an attorney in your jurisdiction. Or call the ACLU and see if they will advise you, though they might side with the client. Are suspected neo-nazis a protected class when it comes to discrimination. There's just a lot of legal questions that you will probably not get proper advice on from a forum.

No money was exchanged, just discussed my fee and talked scheduling. We also talked about doing a family session. We talked about a good time to meet. I received the picture after the fact and then they told me what they wanted.

I want to thank everyone for the support and advice. I just wanted to follow up with all that helped out and update you. I also did some more research, talked to a few business people in my area, a few legal and law enforcement people as well, crafted what I felt was a dignified and respectful response, had it proofread by some people and sent the message to decline the session. I am patiently waiting for a response, if I get one. So if you pray, send good vibes, or good thoughts please do.
  • Like 3