need detailed instructions for Epson printer alignment tool

PaulWhiting

I've seen plenty of instructions for how to use that printer utility (mine's a 1400) but they don't show exactly what to look for and how long to run it.

It's the utility that starts off with this screen, except for the 1400 it shows only three boxes, not four.

alignment.JPG.e992c63d1407d30244093709e3c7b5fd.JPG

Each time you run it you get nine squares for each of the three boxes and you're supposed to pick the cleanest square and note its number. Hard to explain all this in words but if you've used this utility you'll know what I mean.

The first screen shows all boxes with a "5" in them, and each time you run the test you get closer to all fives and enter those numbers - and run the test again.

Here's what I assume, and this is missing in the documentation:

-> You want to get all fives, so the test looks like the first screen with all fives, right? Sometimes I've run the utility as much as 9 or 10 times, each one better than the last, but I never get all fives. So is the goal to get all fives and you're supposed to keep running it to achieve that? It does help, I made a large improvement in my print quality when I had a three, a four and a five. But the print isn't as good as when the printer was new. Should I keep going? Is it possible to get all fives? Sometimes it's hard to pick the cleanest box, I've had to use a loupe.

www.paulwhitingphotography.com