Need advice on Camcorder for vacation

graham_martin2

<p>My wife and I are going to Hawaii at the end of the year for two weeks. I am taking one DSLR and a small MF Fuji camera. I am wondering if it might be fun to take a camcorder along as well. It would have to be compact, easy to use and not cost a small fortune. I'd like not to spend more than around $300 if that's possible. Anyone have some suggestions?</p>

<p>I have on more than one vacation used a "Flip" pocket video camera with fine results. The digital telephoto zoom feature was not as good optically, thus I've learned to avoid this feature and use my feet as a substitute for zoom. When stitching the clips together, there is no provision for partial editing thus an individual clip either has to be retained in it's entirety or deleted. Forget the backround music, it's IMHO annoying. I'm sorry to see the "Flip" discontinued. By the way forget the $25 battery pack and the $25 charger. Go to your local drugstore and buy a wall charger and (4) NiMH batteries, they work just fine. Wait for a sale, I did, the batteries and wall charger were under $10USD. The camera uses (2) AA at a time and you need not even read the IB as the controls are simple and intuitive. Have a blast in Hawaii whether you flip or go for a more complex camera with far more bells and whistles. If I remember the camera records for two hours at 4GB internal memory(no card slot provided) so you may need to download to DVD if there for two weeks!</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>I might be too late but I have a panasonicSDR-H200. I'm not going to go too much into details but I LOVE the hard drive. No issue with tape or running out of space. and the transfer to computer is easy.<br>

The only thing I don't like it that the usb port to transfer to the computer is behind the battery. So the only way to can transfer is to plug the charger.<br>

Just for info</p>